• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MycoDan

Coffee grounds and Compost.

Coffee grounds are a great addition to the garden and compost pile. Help to recycle this great organic resource and reduce the amount of organics going to the landfill!

Coffee grounds are about 2% nitrogen by volume.

Grounds are not acidic; the acid in coffee is water-soluble so the acid is mostly in the coffee.

Coffee grounds are close to pH neutral (between 6.5 - 6.8 pH).

Coffee grounds improve soil tilth or structure.

cffee07.pdf
http://extension.oregonstate.edu/lane/sites/default/files/documents/cffee07.pdf

Call around to your locale Starbucks, They always give their used grounds away.

Cool post.  Prolly gentically modified and pesticded to death coffee, but good to know.

Disappointment is caused by unrealistic expectations. / The more I learn about people the more I like my dog. / Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. / Its like everything it depends on everything else. 

Playing devil's advocate, as much as I love coffee; the Worlds mass consumption of it is destroying huge swaths of rainforest. It's not acclimated to any nearby growing regions, and thus its shipped from great distances, burning fossil fuel and releasing greenhouse gasses. 

So....   Why not take an extra step to prevent organic material from being trashed; bagged, placed in an anaerobic environment where it will produce methane (a potent greenhouse gas) which will eventually  leak back into the environment as pollution.   Up-cycle it.  

Edit: After a little searching I find this....  Starbucks has joined forces with Monsanto to sue the state of Vermont over GMO labeling requirements.

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/starbucksmonsanto.asp#w5fsTgsmK3yO6fQp.99 

Who knows what monsanto has going on in Guatemala, Sumatra, Indonesia, and other countries, we barely know what they have going on domestically.

You'll notice how the cherry notes of the Ethiopean Yirgahefe balance the earth tones of the Hash Skunk.

hivemind-150.jpg

Welcome to the Hive Mind

My mind is on vacation. Please, kindly inform me if you see it. It is likely wearing a sparkle, rainbow wig, and comes to the name "Kristen."

Coffee is good stuff! Our compost not only contains coffee grounds but we throw in our veggie scraps and eggshells too and mix it in the dirt. We also have the added blessing of chicken and horse manure. But it has to be older, fresh has too much nitrogen and would burn the plant up.

You know me.... i'm a cheap date and do not use nutes. Just algae water and compost tea....

Oh i forgot to mention, when you feed your plants, i do mine before the sun comes over the mountains, the girls have to have their morning cup of coffee ya know. i feed my plants every three days and the good thing about compost nutes.... they can be flushed within days not weeks.

i'll shut up now, big papa

Pin-icon-1106181559.png

""patients helping patients, with no thought of gain""... The Stoned Soup Group.... https://magicalbutter.com

Sounds like you're on the right track bigpapa.   The right mix of food scraps, yard waste, and attention will bring you worms and the finest fertilizer around if you wait until its fully composted. My compost in the photos was not intended to be vermiculture they just happened to REALLY like the compost. I was blown away... It Almost seemed like more worm than compost for a period of time.

I always hear to stay away from protein and can tell you from anecdotal evidence, don't compost pork or cow (unless its an experiment),  I think small amounts of fish scraps would work just fine mixed in with an already established compost, but this is just an assumption and have not tried before.  It will likely reek and attract raccoons and other pests if not mixed well.

Chicken poop I've read averages around 1.1 - 0.8 - 0.5 NPK and it WILL BURN most plants if used directly. It's best composted, but is still a great source of nitrogen if made into a tea

The power of coffee, organic matter, attention, and time.

worms.jpg

3372_10151069491056915_1478307055_n.jpg

Still looking for an easy to use image hosting site if anyone knows of one off the top of their head... no need to google for me.
Imgur only allows 1 gallery or photo per hour.

Wishing everyone a restful and rejuvenating night.

The easiest one i've found is gyazo, (I pay 3 bucks a month) I was given the service for life for free, I'm sure it still is free,

https://gyazo.com

With gyazo you have one click and you mouse over everything you want made a photo. Let go of the mouse and a new window opens, right click your image and grab link, Just bring back the link and place it in the icon. Gyazo also allows you to edit photos

4555d2d69d51c0063d414d24ba81c42a.png

i've always used photobucket and i'm cool wit how easy it is to use

You're right BP, http://photobucket.com/Is one we always suggest. It is one of the easiest. Thanks :)

How to insert photo's using photobucket/links

How many growers here have used Dr Earth's line of nutrients? i am experimenting with 5 plants how this will effect my grow. The nute line is 100% organic and it stinks to high heaven. i added it to a barrel of water yesterday and supposed to let it set overnight. i opened the lid and liketa fell over. i hope the plants like it. i have a Moose Nutz, Andrea's Dream, Hash plant, Cannatonic and Blackberry i'm using the new nutes on. Can't wait to see the results. 

i have an Exile that is also being experimented with.... airstone to the root system and vibration tests to see if an old veteran's ideas pay off. i met a 75 year old vet who grows like nobody's business.... i'll shut up now. big papa

Pin-icon-1106181559.png

""patients helping patients, with no thought of gain""... The Stoned Soup Group.... https://magicalbutter.com

I have little knowledge of store bought, liquid nutrients. Prepare for fungus gnats. Not a problem unless you start breeding them. The larva, (larvi?) , the juvenile form of the gnat can cause damage to the roots. Just don't overwater. They are attracted to byproducts of fermentation and yeast. 

I'd been using G&B all purpose 3-2-3, but have changed over to foxfarm 6-4-4 veg, the girls were craving food; more nitrogen.

Free air exchange is important. Stagnant air is bad. 

Announcements

• Today's Birthdays

No users celebrating today