Fall Giveaway Read more... ×
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

loverlyone

Leaves browning and falling off.

I am having such difficulty with all these greenhouse Swedbank seeds!

So far this is the only plant that has made it past two true leaves. But they are browning and two layers of leaves have fallen off.

I thought it might be be over watering. I moved it to some super loose cactus soil (with no nutrients) and it is growing but I see some darkening as shown in the pic.

This is damnesia from greenhouse.

What kind of light are you using? Maybe the light is too close and is drying them to a crisp?
Too much water could also be it. What are you starting them out in?

If you are doing an outdoor grow i would start the seedlings inside under some kind of blue spectrum(6500k) Fluorescent.

Edited by SomeRandomGuy

How far away is the led light from the plants?
And also the light from outside may be too much for the little seedlings.

Try vegging them for a little under the led so they get some strength.
I am not really sure what is happening i will say that. Just wanted to throw some thoughts out there.

Edited by SomeRandomGuy

Now I'm gonna assume you've done this once or twice, but I have to ask, have you tested the pH of your run off water and the water you add?, is it possible that it's just horrible nutrient lock out? Maybe just poor genetics? Has anyone you know grown out these before? Do they smell funny? (Seriously)

Garden of Dreams
In my garden there is a large place for sentiment.
My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams.
The thoughts grow as freely as the flowers, and the dreams are as beautiful.
     ~Abram L. Urban

thanks for asking! it is my fourth or fifth grow...or sixth? I can't remember. 

i have done clones and seeds. These seeds were purchased from a reputable seed bank and made by a reputable grower. 

this particular plant has 6 sets of leaves. Small, but sturdy. I would have thought too much light too, but the way it's kind of slowly progressing up the plant is what has me concerned. I haven't even give it much in the way of nutrients because of how the first leaves crumbled. 

I haven't tested the water. I can only find soil ph meters locally, so I haven't tested.  My local water district water is a bit high in PH running at 8.1 according to the water quality report. I do add a splash of AC vinegar to each gallon of water. 

There are no odd smells. The seedlings are babied until they have two sets of true leaves and then put under the brighter LEDs. No mold or mildew. 

My two pure kush seedlings sprouted, got a set of true leaves and then just stagnated. One is dead. one is still alive and looks healthy. 

ALL the seeds that I purchased made by Greenhouse Seeds have been really difficult to germinate. I've got two with tiny tap roots coming out, but they seem to be progressing very slowly, almost as if the seed coat is too sturdy. IDK. frustrated because these things are expensive and i don't have a lot of time before i'm out of medicine for Kathy. 

Thank you for the help. I will look for a ph meter. 

jen

if your using city tap water or have a unique situation, perhaps PH will play a roll.  Assuming the enviornment is correct, I think you need to add plenty of chunky perlite to your soil and only water when the pots are light. I usually grab up a pot  or tip it to determine if it wants water.  I suspect you are following a nutrient schedule with soil too dense to expel the nutrients, even with proper watering. Its a weed. Forget all this complicated stuff and just look at the plant.  I 

Disappointment is caused by unrealistic expectations. / The more I learn about people the more I like my dog. / Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. / Its like everything it depends on everything else. 

Yeah I Think You Need To Correct That 8.1 PH Many Nutrients Will Not Be Available At That High Of PH.

But Loverly Please Consider Getting An Inexpensive PH Meter {Online-Cheap} Some PH Down.

Keep Checking Your Water. Hold Onto The Meter Good Unless It's With A Lanyard Or It's Waterproof.

In A Pinch When I Can Figure My Plant's Problem... I Go Directly To The Water. A Pinch Of Epsom Salts Might Not Hurt.

Plus Dear L... Such A Needed Instrument Until You Are Dialed In Good. Only IMHO... Brother Will

letting it sit is OK, bubbling it is better, but some water supplies can not bubble it out all.......I think more than pH is giing on here, but I could be wrong

Disappointment is caused by unrealistic expectations. / The more I learn about people the more I like my dog. / Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. / Its like everything it depends on everything else. 

yes, the water has been filtered and declorinated. 

now the opposite pair of leaves is going brown. i give up. the last three seeds i germed, have gone squishy and the other seedlings are going nowhere.

overwatering! HA I was right! add more perlite to your soil and water less!

i didnt put the seeds in soil... :Shame On You:  :Just Kidding:

FWIW i think what i have is very well draining and it just transplanted it from a really coarse cactus soil, so overwatering is not the problem IMO.  I'm starting to wonder if its the seeds. i have not had any problems before now. 

:Cry:

also, i found the emoticons... :Peace:

okay well you have fun.  This will be last bit here... Any commercial soil IMHO is far too thick and needs chunky perlite for optimum results.  Whether it be roots organic, fox farm, promix, sunshine mix #4, or home made soil from compost and organic matter from the farm store. ....I have had no experience with "cactus mix".  I think some folks would be better off with a caregiver.....

If you have trouble getting seeds to sprout, or just as a general rule of thumb, rough up the seed shells with a little sand paper and score along the seem with a razor blade (very lightly), and then soak in pH adjusted water over night, sometimes two. By then the seeds should have split and have a small tail poking out. If not, transfer to paper towels for a few days, checking daily. 

This procedure will help with fickle seeds, and up your germination rate.

Best of luck

Garden of Dreams
In my garden there is a large place for sentiment.
My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams.
The thoughts grow as freely as the flowers, and the dreams are as beautiful.
     ~Abram L. Urban