Welcome New Members. Click and introduce yourselves. Read more... ×
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

EDDIEKIRK

Choosing the right pump. (dwc) ~

Can we get some first hand accounts on how you chose your pump?

Did the first one work?

Is there anything about your experience that will help us?

How often do you need to clean your filter, and all that "Gunk"  in there? Isn't that "Gunk" actually "Good stuff"?

Staff

i have questions. If I am creating a single bucket system do I simply need a pump to push air, or is a recirculating pump required? 

How do you decide on GPM/LPM, WATTS and number of outlets? How does number of outlets affect these variables?

i have questions. If I am creating a single bucket system do I simply need a pump to push air, or is a recirculating pump required? 

How do you decide on GPM/LPM, WATTS and number of outlets? How does number of outlets affect these variables?

Im sure I was wrong earlier showing you that pump. I hope you did not buy it yet.

I'm reading here that you'll want an air pump. And those are above ground. scroll down and read his parts list

http://www.outdoorhydro.com/blog/2013/7/10/build-your-own-5gal-bucket-dwc

I know this does not answer all of your questions, Or any for that fact. :( I'm so dumb about dwc

Color me crazy, but I like a appropriately sized one this style .http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/131363703279?lpid=82&chn=ps They take much abuse, and rebuild kits are about $2.  I like using two rebuild kits (rubber vacuum diaphrams) and installing them both on one pump. Makes them quiter and I have never noticed lesser airflow.  Do yourself a favor and buy a $40 hydrofarm single unit and run that for a cycle or two.......

Disappointment is caused by unrealistic expectations. / The more I learn about people the more I like my dog. / Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. / Its like everything it depends on everything else. 

I don't know how accurate this info is. but maybe goolge search a few of the key words, Hopefully this helps you, while we wait for someone to answer, (ODB?)

Perhaps ODB shall correct me. :D

http://www.420magazine.com/forums/how-grow-marijuana/71848-what-kind-pump-should-i-use-how-much-air-does-each-bucket-need.html

thank you. With that pump, ODB I could probably add another bucket in the future?

jen

Yes,  that pump is sufficient enough for you to expand to multiple DWC buckets. 

So, I've been out of the grow scene for a while and have a little catching up to do. But, the air pump offdababa mentioned is 80 watts - from what I remember reading online, a general guideline for quality pumps is 1-2 watt per gallon.  ( I cant personally vouch for this ratio, but it seems accepted online)

When it comes to air-pumps, overkill is good, for a number of reason.  
  •  
  • 1) Cheaper low-wattage pumps (i.e. wallyworld) will break MUCH much quicker and are not user serviceable (generally).
  • 2) Industrial pumps are normally user-serviceable, so when it wears out, you can fix it, instead of replacing.
  • 3) You can't really have too much dissolved oxygen... the more the better.
  • 4) Ability to expand. 

Just thought I'd throw my two cents in the bucket. If you are only running one plant, in a five gallon size container, you can get by/learn with a two port air pump from any big box or pet store. Get a T splitter and run both ports through one 2x4 cylinder shaped air stone. With a scrog setup and good genes you can easily pull 4 to 6 ounces with a 400 watt light.  The pumps will last you two to three cycles and you should change the stones every cycle, so buy in bulk. With a 600 watt light, recirculating system in a small trashcan, rope tote, or large Rubbermaid tub, you can get a pound plus off of one plant.  You will need more air, more stones and a water pump.  One good thing about a single bucket, recirculating system is that you can keep your control bucket outside of the tent or room, which gives you the ability to change the control bucket or add nutrients durning the night cycle.  Larger nutrient tanks will also have a more stable pH.  Hope this helped and wasn't confusing.  

Garden of Dreams
In my garden there is a large place for sentiment.
My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams.
The thoughts grow as freely as the flowers, and the dreams are as beautiful.
     ~Abram L. Urban

Hey, IOAP,

I really don't understand how the recirculating system works.

I know that all the containers are attached to a single container. How does it pump the water to the other buckets in a way that recirculates?

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I tried on my phone earlier, but it would not cooperate.  

It's a lot simpler than people think, but then again you can make it as complex as you'd like.  For the simple version the only part of the system that is under pressure is the section returning from the plants to the control bucket.  Typically a system would look like this:

Control bucket→ pipe → plant → return pipe → the water pump → a pipe, and finally back to the control bucket. 

I'll post pictures and videos later if needed 

The pipes going from the control bucket to the plants are typically larger,  like 2″ PVC, and these are fed by gravity/water pressure. So those are passive, when the water level rises in the control bucket, the water pressure pushes the water down the wide pipes.  

The return line/s that go from the bucket to the water pump are typically smaller in diameter to increase pressure and velocity, and this in combination with the water pump, which pulls the water from the plant buckets to the control bucket. So the only positive pressure is between the pump and control bucket, and it is not very much pressure.

You have your air stones in the plant buckets and the control bucket, and the water that falls into the control bucket from the pump (you have it enter the bucket higher up the side, toward the top) adds aeration when it falls, and the cycle repeats.

Quick connect unions and ball valves make taking the system apart, swapping parts, and fixing problems much easier.  You can add an inline filter, like the ones for garden hoses, inside the return to the control bucket to catch any root material, and you can even set it up to run organics, you just need better, more expensive pumps.

Let me know if this helps, or is just confusing, and let me know if you need anything else.

thanks

Garden of Dreams
In my garden there is a large place for sentiment.
My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams.
The thoughts grow as freely as the flowers, and the dreams are as beautiful.
     ~Abram L. Urban

Good adivce from everyone.   I doubt you can put too much air to a bucket, however problems will accumulate fast with too little air. 

Disappointment is caused by unrealistic expectations. / The more I learn about people the more I like my dog. / Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. / Its like everything it depends on everything else.