Fall Giveaway Read more... ×
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

shortglide

Anybody have experience with Russet Mites?

Looking for a non poisonous way to battle these. Any suggestions?

shortglide-1.jpg

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance --That principle is contempt prior to investigation."Herbert Spencer

Be not afraid of life. Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact. —William James

I recommend you look into a product called green clean. I never recommend products, but this one specifically will help your fight get underway... http://www.amazon.com/Green-Clean-Powdery-Destroyer-Gallons/dp/B00LBJQU26

On top of this, of course, a heavy conscientious IPM approach that introduces a heavy amount of biology. Isolation, quarantine, work...patience..
I wish you the best of luck man.

TN

I just read a thread about cooking them. Raising the temp in the room to 120F and leave it there for an hour or so.

Supposed to kill the mites and the eggs and not harm the plant.

I'm not 100% convinced, but if it works.....

karmic_debt2.jpg

22222.jpg

Apparently the cooking them dead at 120 didn't work. Any other ideas? 

shortglide-1.jpg

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance --That principle is contempt prior to investigation."Herbert Spencer

Be not afraid of life. Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact. —William James

I posted on Twitter, should have posted here too.  Large amounts of ladybugs should do the trick. Also, if the plants are in soil, a liberal sprinkling of Diatomaceous earth across the top of your container should kill the larva. 

Garden of Dreams
In my garden there is a large place for sentiment.
My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams.
The thoughts grow as freely as the flowers, and the dreams are as beautiful.
     ~Abram L. Urban

Dont marrigolds keep bugs away? There are flowers that can keep the bugs away just by smell. Maybe mint even?

Yes marigolds can act as a pest deterrent,

what grow marigolds in with your plants?

shortglide-1.jpg

what grow marigolds in with your plants?

I always do some outside Marigolds next to the plants,

f4eeee1f61a40735ad10543069b968a7.jpg

fascinating. I never would have thought of that. What bugs does it work on?

shortglide-1.jpg

"In fact, marigolds have their own pest problems. Spider mites are particularly attracted to marigolds..."and can build up on the marigolds and then move to your plants.  Marigolds to work against nematodes, the bad ones.

http://blog.nola.com/dangill/2008/05/the_truth_about_marigolds.html

Garden of Dreams
     ~Abram L. Urban

"In fact, marigolds have their own pest problems. Spider mites are particularly attracted to marigolds..."and can build up on the marigolds and then move to your plants.  Marigolds to work against nematodes, the bad ones.

http://blog.nola.com/dangill/2008/05/the_truth_about_marigolds.html

Ive never had a mite infestation , well.. we use Avid in veg right before flowering, Or flora-mite. either way we have lots of different plants that host all different sorts of critters. I normally grow hundreds of those marigolds every year just because their so easy to grow. I think I wont do so this year. :) No need to attract them I guess,

Thanks for the link,

the marigolds do kill the bad nematodes, so you could plant them in the late fall after harvest, then till them under come spring

also are these plants outdoors or indoors, and are they in soil?

Garden of Dreams
     ~Abram L. Urban