Fall Giveaway Read more... ×
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

moorlandmoss

Seedlings with seed pods that are stuck. some removed and then issues.

Hi,

I'm going to continue trying to find a thread that answers these questions for me, but in the interim and using all the advice I've found so far this is where I'm up too when trying too answer these questions. (getting pics is difficult sorry)

What is the best way to deal with seeds that are stuck on the seedlings head?

If you remove the trapped seed pod and damage the plant so you are left with a shriveled, limp, can't support itself, but still alive (In a Voldemort sense) thing....what do you do to help it come back?

Currently, I've placed all of the effected plants (6 in total) in a dim, cool environment so they don't dry out. I've also used a cue tip and like feeding a baby bird with a pipette, I've very carefully moistened the trapped seed heads avoiding disturbing the stems. I've also placed the tiniest amount of water on the leaves of the tiny seedlings that are lying on their sides like beached whales after i helped them out of their seed pods or they emerged sickly themselves.

So, as for analyzing the issue, it may have been caused by my letting the seeds soak 24 hrs then tapping the seeds down (most of them were floating still) and then not letting them get enough time to soak again after that...barely 30 mins. I planted them at an appropriate depth in water soaked rock wool. They may have been other factors that caused the issue or it may have just been poor luck on my part. It also maybe the reason the seedbank sent me 12 seeds when i only payed for 4 :-) ....but besides all that...what should I do now?

Edited by moorlandmoss

What is the best way to deal with seeds that are stuck on the seedlings head?

A. If they come off VERY easily, you can remove them GENTLY.  If you encounter any resistance just leave them be, they will fall off when mother nature dictates, will not hurt. 

If you remove the trapped seed pod and damage the plant so you are left with a shriveled, limp, can't support itself, but still alive (In a Voldemort sense) thing....what do you do to help it come back?

A.Low light levels and very light if any balanced nutes.  Most would throw it out I think.  But let her hang in there and see! Toothpick and wire tie to help it stand will help. 

Seeds can take awhile, but IME healty seeds are almost impossible not to germinate when they are moist.   Hope this helps somewhat :D

Disappointment is caused by unrealistic expectations. / The more I learn about people the more I like my dog. / Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. / Its like everything it depends on everything else. 

Whenever I have tried to help the seed pod off the shoot it destroyed the plant. I have never had luck. Sorry for my lack of help. :(

Eddiekirk, no worries your opinion mirrors others where the consensus is, leave it alone because interference will probably kill it. I'm leaning that way considering how the ones I helped responded.

Cheers Offdababa.

I will leave them as is for now and hope they survive. But if they don't I still have 6 plants when I only ordered 4 so I won't complain too much.

The strain is Nepalese Jamaican btw.

I have always just let mine be and all has been well.  I remember having the same type of feelings you are now when the seed shell stuck around for a while.  I would love to see some pics you should start a journal!

“You have control over your work alone, never the fruit.”  "If you don't try to be great, you don't really even have a good chance of being good"

as said above, if you are very very careful the helmets can be helped off, I have no reluctance to help them myself, but again be very very careful, if do it that way, will not hurt them at all, if damage them removing it will probably kill them.

peace,

tw

California 215 compliant grow

Currently Growing: White Nightmare, Pineapple Express & Napali Pink

Lighting:  start/veg 2 - 190w LUSH Herbal Vador 2x, 2 - 435w LUSH Lighting Dominator 2x

I have always found that helping before you sprout them will almost always help.  Rough up the outside of the shell with a little bit of 

sand paper, or score along the sides with a razor lightly.   When you find yourself with some that just don't want to pop off, one of these 

comes in handy

http://www.amazon.com/Testors-8942T-Reverse-Action-Tweezers/dp/B003ZD1148

They are reverse action tweezers, so when you squeeze them, they open.  This gives you just about the right amount of pressure for 

popping the open seeds off.  Don't forget to sanitize  and be gentle.  For ones that you worry you may have been a little too rough on, 

I would just place a plastic cup over the top (like a dome) and keep an eye on them.

peace

Garden of Dreams
In my garden there is a large place for sentiment.
My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams.
The thoughts grow as freely as the flowers, and the dreams are as beautiful.
     ~Abram L. Urban

I've plans to start a grow journal..but I've lost the adapter for my phone so at the moment getting the pictures on the computer is time consuming.. ah well.

The Pineapple express auto's I have are like some type of mutant!!! I'd like to say I'm doing something right,but all I'm doings is following lot's of advice and it's working :-)

I've placed a tiny ring of soil around each of the three tiny seedlings to help maintain humidity. One of them is threatening to spring back to life and the other two are fighting off death I think....but nothing is dead so there is a chance of a plant still :-)

One of the seedlings had extended about 1" above the soil with the seed firmly clamped shut...after about 4 days of moistening I finally removed that head last night ( i couldn't resist) and today she is starting to unfurl :-) The baby leaves were funky with little brown patches but the inner leaves have that fresh green hue and are fine. I think it was damage from either the water I applied or????? but the main thing that plant is doing well :-)

Thank you for tips everyone...