Welcome New Members. Click and introduce yourselves. Read more... ×
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Caedmon Michael

What to look for in a dispensary?

Rate this topic

I've read many of the threads in this forum and I've paid attention to recent announcements about local dispensaries. I think I'm following most of the facebook pages of dispensaries mentioned. When I first get started, I'll visit these, but none of them are really in my neighborhood. And my neighborhood has a lot. 

I know one of the ways I can find a good dispensary is to ask in here. That's a good start, but it doesn't help me learn if I'm not also looking for the important qualities and marks that a place might not be entirely on the up and up. And, I'm thinking about more than myself here.

So... Here's what I would like to know:

(If this has been answered elsewhere, please drop me a link. I did attempt to search, but that doesn't mean I was choosing good search terms.)

Assume a person has moved to a new town/suburb/area or is new to OMMP.

Is there online research? Is there a state website where I can verify the place is legit? Do I need to worry about that?

As I approach the building and walk up to the door, is there anything in particular I should be looking for? Markers that might help me tell is out to help or skeeze?

What might I see inside that would lead me to think it's not a great place to do business? Or that it is?

Are there code words that suggest illegal activity (with the assumption if I hear them being used, I might want to find another place)?

What questions should I ask?

If someone who knows dispensaries and how they should be run is in another town and walks into a local dispensary, what might they see, hear, experience that would cause them to turn around and leave? to stay a while and hang out?

hivemind-150.jpg

Welcome to the Hive Mind

My mind is on vacation. Please, kindly inform me if you see it. It is likely wearing a sparkle, rainbow wig, and comes to the name "Kristen."

The first thing one needs to know about dispensaries is they will not let you in without your state issued card. They do not accept paperwork. 2nd, check out the neighborhood you want to go to, google the dispensary and check the reviews. The only key word that I know of in the marijuana industry is that you cannot use the word "Bong" it is referred to as a water pipe. If you use the "B" word you probably be asked to leave. I have only been to a couple of dispensaries but they all work pretty much the same. Be prepared to show your card and ID. I don't know of ay "code" words, just ask your questions. All medicine available should have the testing results visible and labeled, it should have a warning label and and OMMP reg number. You might try going to Cured Green. It is owned by one of our moderators. I'm sure he can answer any and all questions. I also believe that all dispensaries are legit as far as being registered, but as in kind of business there is room for illegality. I hope this helps people. 

geo, do you have anything to add?

shortglide-1.jpg

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance --That principle is contempt prior to investigation."Herbert Spencer

Be not afraid of life. Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact. —William James

Dispensaries will not let you in without your state issued card, be prepared to show your card and ID.

Another site I go to is leafly, http://www.leafly.com/finder#?loadfacets=true&sort=BestMatch&page=0&take=20&searchradius=20&latitude=42.33814&longitude=-122.84491

You can put in your zip and it'll show the dispensaries in your area. Some will have menues. I'd still call before you go over. I have to when I'm getting clones since they don't last long. I've gone to two dispensaries in my area, one is close the other is a bit of a drive and more expensive.

Tthe one close dispenery, I wasn't impressed at all. They had seeds out under a light, all there flower meds looked the same and poor quality at diffrent prices, the stuff wasn't very knowlegdable or professional ( I think they were all too stoned) , and there clones didn't look good either there layout of the store was terrible making it hard to look at the clones. even at $5 cheaper then where I go....not worth it.

The dispensary I go to is about 20-30 minutes away. There staff and owners are knowlegable and professional, myself and other half asked many questions that we knew the answer to from flower meds to clones (like clone only strains, you'd be amazed how people get tripped up).  There flower meds look good. Sometime they have sale, so a 14$ a gram strain might go for 6 or 8. very nice :) since this lets me try diffrent strains. I've been going to this dispenery for about 6 months (since they opened) I've completely restocked my mother plant costing me 100$. I never thought I'd ever have to buy my clones since between myself and other half, we've given out for free thousands of clones down here. Last spring when I asked for a donation of clones (on diffrent site where I gave out clones) only a few people responded and wanted 25$ per clone, so sad.

well I hope this helps.

gallery_2188_61_23224.png  

Classy, sassy, and a bit of a smart assy

Is there enough regulation that a licensed shop is pretty much going to be on the up and up?

Part of the reason I ask is that there was a place within walking distance of me that was raided. Now, I don't know the details, don't know if it was a "club" or a "dispensary" or just people running shop without a license. But one of the things I hope to avoid is being in a shop when it gets raided when all I'm trying to do is the right thing. Or get taken by someone who's not selling what the sign says they're selling. Or, and this is the biggest issue, supporting a shop with my money that is perfectly legit, but don't really care about the health/medicine aspect.

I plan to visit cured green, but that takes two trains. If I ran low and am in the middle of a migraine, I can't get there. But there are a handful of little shops walking distance from me. When that time comes, in the private forums, I'll say what neighborhood I'm in and see if anyone here knows any of them. But maybe it's a shop no one's been to. Maybe I don't have time to ask. 

Because the day the card shows up, you know I'm walking into a shop. I don't want to get taken because I'm an excited n00b.

hivemind-150.jpg

Welcome to the Hive Mind

My mind is on vacation. Please, kindly inform me if you see it. It is likely wearing a sparkle, rainbow wig, and comes to the name "Kristen."

offdababa - you edited your post. I saw when it was one line and only caught your full response just now when I hit the wrong button. I'll get to reading it. ;)

purple - Thanks. That is helpful. You brought up something that's a little different, but still relevant. I'm going to want to try a lot of things and since I don't have the money or brain cells to try them all in the first week, I'm trying to be a little smart about where I start and have been using leafly to see if and where in town I can find certain strains. That's going to be another reason I get pulled out to shops I might not have chosen or that might not have been recommended. 

shortglide - that's good to hear about the codewords. it happens in so many industries, I just assume it happens everywhere. If the blue shirt at best buy is doing something shady, I'm not going to worry about it. But, because of the social climate around marijuana, I feel I have to be more careful about such things.

hivemind-150.jpg

Welcome to the Hive Mind

Good meds and cool staff, clean place I'd stay around, lacking any of these I would leave..but im sure others are more suited to answer this question, but I think you be over thinkin the whole thing. Go with a friend? 

I overthink everything. Just ask my psychiatrist. She's been trying to break me of it for years. Makes my life hell, but it also makes me a good writer.

Also, in my particular case, all y'all's answers suggest I should just avoid my neighborhood and make my roommate give me a ride if I can't take the bus. :LOL:

hivemind-150.jpg

Welcome to the Hive Mind

There is always a chance that any business you deal with could be doing things illegally. Nobody is immune to a con artist behind the counter. Just use your common sense. If your gut says not to go to one place then don't go. Anothe0000000r place might be better. We have some dispensaries we recommend, Powell House and Cured Green. These two are very reputable. I can also attest to Cannabliss and their rigorous honesty as a business as well. 

shortglide-1.jpg

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance --That principle is contempt prior to investigation."Herbert Spencer

Be not afraid of life. Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact. —William James

Not too many choir boys runnin dispensaries :P

Disappointment is caused by unrealistic expectations. / The more I learn about people the more I like my dog. / Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. / Its like everything it depends on everything else. 

Thanks geo for your input. All very good information.

shortglide-1.jpg