Welcome New Members. Click and introduce yourselves. Read more... ×
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Caedmon Michael

Vaping Dry Herb - An Adventure

I have some friends who have been bugging me to get an OMMP card to start using mj, primarily for migraines. I told them I didn't really want to pay all the money just to find it wouldn't work for me and left it at that. My friends got tired of waiting faster than I did and showed up at my house with a baggie.

I have asthma and even being around smoke can be a problem, so smoking was out of the question. Oral medications don't work with migraine, so baking it wasn't going to work. Making a tincture just looked like too much trouble. 

I decided to try vaping and walked to the neighborhood vape shop. I like the idea of supporting a local, independent store. Since I didn't have a clue what I needed, I figured they could help. Well... They knew all about equipment for nicotine liquids and quite a bit about batteries and mods, but not so much about the part you put the stuff in.

On my first trip, they sold me an eGo-v v2 battery and a dry herb vaporizer called The Hound.

The Hound wasn't a bad idea. It was designed for dry herb, concentrates, and heavy oil. It had a 510 tip which meant any standard size stick pen (e.g., bic) could be used to tamp. It had a replaceable screen that was held in so that you could dump without losing it. The only problem is that it didn't vape. Oops. I don't know if the screen was too far away or the non-rebuildable coil was underpowered, but with the voltage cranked, all I got was slightly warmed air with a pine forest aftertaste.

The eGo-v v2 battery was a good product. It was solid and worked, but not for my purpose. To vape e-juice, you only need to hit the battery for a few seconds at a time. To vape dry herb, I'll stay on the batter for 20 or 30 seconds. The eGo, like most of the stick batteries, has an automatic kill switch to keep you from burning a hole in your purse if the button is accidentally depressed. Vaping dry herb requires a game of clicking the battery every eight seconds as you vape. That's not a deal breaker, but an annoyance.

The Hound didn't work, so I went back to the store after doing some research of my own on the product. I felt a bit like I was teaching the proprietor, but he seemed to appreciate the feedback. I traded it in for a Yocan 94f dry herb atomizer.

The 94f is a beast. Both the diameter and depth of the chamber are bigger than any of the other dry herb attachments. The mouthpiece doubles as a spring-loaded plunger and the plunger doubles as a magnetic and mechanical filter. I have no idea whether the magnets really do anything, but they do get dirty in a hurry. The plunger, though, is really nice. Not only can I shake and re-pack without opening anything, but the plunger works to eject the used material. Most importantly, it vapes. It vapes real well, but only after a few changes and modifications.

I had to return the eGo battery. The kill switch was annoying, but the real problem was that it wouldn't power the 94f. The 94f came with a 1.3 ohm (at the low end of resistance on commercial units) coil. The minimum resistance for the eGo is 1.7 ohms. The fail safe in the eGo wouldn't allow the coil to fire with enough heat to warm anything up.

I replaced the stick battery with a mechanical mod. It's a metal tube with a button. Pushing the button completes the circuit and electricity flows from battery to coil. No computer chips. No kill switches. Power to coil. I finally have the right combination of battery and atomizer, but I needed to make two more changes.

The 1.3 ohm coil does work on the mod, but lower resistance means hotter burn. Vaporizing is all about getting just the right temperature and the 1.3 has a tendency to burn. Officially, the Yocan coils are not rebuildable. In reality, anything is rebuildable if you have the tools, skill, and YouTube. In practice, the Yocan wasn't difficult at all. The first coil I built came in at 2.4 ohms. It vapes well, but only at the very top of the battery usage, meaning I have to recharge a lot sooner. A 2 ohm coil is just about perfect. In theory, this is a variable temperature device by building an assortment of coils and exchanging for the right temp.

Once I had the right heat, I still had one problem. The 94f doesn't come with a screen, meaning the finely ground herb falls right into the coil, producing copious hits of smoke. As-is, in the box, the 94f is not a vaporizer, but an electric pipe. I found a place that sells glass screens big enough to work with it. Eventually, I'll probably order a few. Until then, a single, metal paperclip, straightened and then wound into a flat spiral makes a great little screen. The kinks in the paperclip put little imperfections into the spiral which allow for airflow, but don't allow your product to fall through. I did stick an awl into the center of the spiral and press down on the outside edge to give it a little bit of a dome to keep it from touching the coil. Finally, I turned the outside end of the clip outward just a bit so that it sort of wedges into place in the chamber. That way, when I open it up to eject the old, it doesn't fall right out.

Finding information was more difficult than I expected. There's not much of anything out there about The Hound and a lot of bad information about the 94f. Most discussion I found on the latter was overrun by "combustion vs convection" purists who were unwilling to admit adding a simple screen made it into a functioning convection vaporizer. I also found a lot of people who don't believe it's really possible to vape dry herb or that it's somehow in bad taste. All it took was some basic creativity and a willingness to experiment. 

hivemind-150.jpg

Welcome to the Hive Mind

My mind is on vacation. Please, kindly inform me if you see it. It is likely wearing a sparkle, rainbow wig, and comes to the name "Kristen."

Hmm, you sound like you should have extracts to me, but Im sure more knowledgeable folks will step up. 

Disappointment is caused by unrealistic expectations. / The more I learn about people the more I like my dog. / Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. / Its like everything it depends on everything else. 

I have found that those type of vaporizers don't work very well, my experience for basically the same reasons. I use an HerbalAire for vaping dry herb. You can use a bag or a whip. It comes with an air pump but I suggest you don't use it. You can get enough air the the chamber the feed tube goes into. It is a bit spendy but you can probably find a used one. Another vape is an iolite or there is a majik (sp) launch that I have heard good reviews about. 

I hope this helps.

shortglide-1.jpg

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance --That principle is contempt prior to investigation."Herbert Spencer

Be not afraid of life. Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact. —William James

I have found that those type of vaporizers don't work very well, my experience for basically the same reasons. I use an HerbalAire for vaping dry herb. You can use a bag or a whip. It comes with an air pump but I suggest you don't use it. You can get enough air the the chamber the feed tube goes into. It is a bit spendy but you can probably find a used one. Another vape is an iolite or there is a majik (sp) launch that I have heard good reviews about. 

I hope this helps.

Magic Flight Launch Box. It would have cost about the same as what I ended up spending on this thing. I might still get one someday just because its form factor makes it so easy to carry around. What I like about my rig, though, is the chamber size. Once loaded, it lasts me a few days. I can leave it sitting on my night stand and when I need it, it's ready. And, unlike a desktop vaporizer, I can take it with me to walk the dog or (once the paperwork's in order) stow in the dog's pack when we're out for the day. 

Thanks for the HerbalAire mention. I wasn't aware of them and the price is much more reasonable than some of the popular desktop vaporizers out there.

hivemind-150.jpg

Welcome to the Hive Mind

My mind is on vacation. Please, kindly inform me if you see it. It is likely wearing a sparkle, rainbow wig, and comes to the name "Kristen."

Hmm, you sound like you should have extracts to me, but Im sure more knowledgeable folks will step up. 

I've tried tinctures in the past. They don't work consistently for me. Down the road, my plan is to switch to oil/wax for vaping. When I started the above process, though, it was because I had been given a quantity of dry herb and knew smoking wasn't an option. I wasn't about to try making my own concentrates, yet. For now, a portable herb vaporizer is the tool that gets the job done. :)

hivemind-150.jpg

Welcome to the Hive Mind

IME you have to find what works for you, initial impressions tend to leave a trend for most of us.  At the end of the day, only you know what works :D   I really thing EK is on the right track, but everyone is different. I got weird tastes and outcomes too.  You start circling like a buzzard, you will find the best for you, sounds like its a vape for you :D 

Disappointment is caused by unrealistic expectations. / The more I learn about people the more I like my dog. / Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. / Its like everything it depends on everything else. 

I was talking to admin ODB about your using a bag for vaping. They seem to give the smoothest hit. Was just a thought though, it seems like your getting good advice here.

I just recently got a Pax Vaporizer and love it.  I am a pretty heavy user and this is the only dry herb vape that has ever gotten me to where I need to be. Hell I do not even use a concentrate pen anymore because of this thing. And I have purchased so many different types of portable dry herb vapes it is ridiculous (MFLB, Whisper, Airizer Solo, etc...) not to mention concentrate pens and accessories.

The Pax has three settings, I usually use the middle one.  Pretty easy to use and herbs taste great.  I use this on the go like when in the car :Peace:   You can check them out here: https://www.ploom.com/pax

“You have control over your work alone, never the fruit.”  "If you don't try to be great, you don't really even have a good chance of being good"

IME Magic Flight Launch Boxes are a waste and have a much harder learning curve than other vapes, such as the pax.  Plus, who wants to carry around extra rechargeable batteries that only last one hit each??  Not me!  You will go thru batteries and juice faster than you can catch a buzz.  The pax is an initial investment but for me it is worth it's weight in gold... or ganja :)

“You have control over your work alone, never the fruit.”  "If you don't try to be great, you don't really even have a good chance of being good"

Did I see right $249.99

shortglide-1.jpg

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance --That principle is contempt prior to investigation."Herbert Spencer

Be not afraid of life. Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact. —William James

You might also want to check out vaporgenie.com  They have a number of different models of portable vaporizers, metal, glass, etc.  Some are battery operated and some just use a bic.  I personally have used this one http://www.vaporgenie.com/spiral-teak-hand-carved-vg-vaporizer  for about 6 years now.  It's easy, portable, and doesn't draw any attention. :)

Searching for the truth!

Click here to visit Rhizobiotics"

Two little tweaks and this shiny pup delivers efficient, effective, clean hits. It's working well enough I'm not looking for other methods of non-smoked, lung delivery. For acute migraine relief, only lung absorption seeks to work. I'm not ready to cook my own concentrates for vaping and the variety of strains isn't available in ready-to-buy concentrates.

The Tweaks

1. My paperclip screen kept the product off the coil, but was inefficient. I bought some glass screens off Amazon. Between a large diameter heating chamber and the Amazon seller converting mm to in incorrectly, the screens are too small, but cutting the center of the previous paperclip screen out gave me a ring to hold the glass screen in place. I found a place that sells screens specific to my atomizer, but what I have works well enough I'll use up what I have before ordering more.

2. I bought a proper grinder. It's not the highest quality and I would like a slightly more fine grind for vaping, but it's a hell of a lot better than my electric coffee grinder. I know what the grind size is going to be and the ground herb is consistent in size. It's a much better draw and I'm not losing the good stuff to centrifugal force.

One Tweak to Go

This has more to do with convenience of use than delivery. The atomizer came with a 1.3 ohm coil. In this rig, that's just too hot. It takes close attention to keep the product from getting so hot it combusts, turning my vaporizer into an e-pipe. That might be okay for recreational use, but when I've got a pounding headache, I don't need to be timing my pre-heats, draws, and cool downs to keep the temperature just right.

Fortunately, the non-rebuildable coil is easily rebuildable. The only tool needed is a set of small needle-noseds. My first rebuild was 2.4 ohms. With the above adjustments, it works quite well, but only at the top of the battery. At full charge, my batts deliver 4.1 V and need to go back on the charger at 3.7 V. The 2.4 ohm coil needs 4 V to produce the right wattage, meaning I only get to use 25% of the battery's functional range and therefore have to recharge four times as often. 

The solution is simple. I just need to build a lower-wattage coil, probably around 1.8 or 2 ohms. The only reason I haven't done it already is that I only think of it while using the vaporizer and by the time the coil is cool enough to work with, I'm not feeling like operating on small parts. 

Notes

1. Why don't I just use one of those fancy charts to determine best resistance (or put my 5 years of physics studies to use)? First, I'm measuring everything with a multimeter I bought at Sears twenty years ago. It was probably the cheapest one on the shelf. I have no idea whether its numbers are accurate. Since that meter and my gear are a closed system, actual numbers aren't as important as consistent numbers, which it seems to give. Second, and more important, is that wattage only matters in its relationship to temperature. Ultimately, I don't need X watts at the coil; I need XXX degrees hitting the oils. Since airflow, how hard/fast I draw, distance from herb to coil, conduction of screen, and even chamber design all factor in to temperature, the wattage needed to produce the right temperatures varies from rig to rig, person to person, and load to load (how you grind and pack influences temp). Wattage charts are a nice ballpark, but they can only give a range to start in.

2. While I appreciate all conversation, discussion, and friendly advice, advice isn't my primary purpose for starting this thread or adding this update. I wrote it because I geek out a bit on this stuff, enjoy sharing my stories, and thought this was a proper forum to do so (I can't share this stuff on my Facebook feed). I'm much more likely to engage advice on dry herb vaping methods/equipment or suggestions on improving my device than reasons I should try different delivery methods. Don't worry, I'll be asking those questions in their own thread soon enough.

hivemind-150.jpg

Welcome to the Hive Mind

ya'll just need solar paneled hats or sumthin :LOL:

ya'll just need solar paneled hats or sumthin :LOL:

naw, thanks. I want to be able to use this thing more than three months out of the year. :P

hivemind-150.jpg

Welcome to the Hive Mind

I tried a vapor genie with poor results as my first vaporizer. Not something I would recommend. 

shortglide-1.jpg

I tried a vapor genie with poor results as my first vaporizer. Not something I would recommend. 

But they're so pretty! By appearance, even if the design is sound, they are going to take more practice and technique to use. Flame adds additional variables. But they're so pretty. At $65 for a teak model, I'll probably buy one even if I only try it out a few times and put it on the shelf.

hivemind-150.jpg

Welcome to the Hive Mind