Fall Giveaway Read more... ×
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CatManMoo

White Mold On Top Soil

I noticed a little white mold/fuzz today on the top soil of a plant.  I am not sure if it is harmful or not.  I have been looking through forums and have read that white molds can sometimes be beneficial if not just benign. 

The plant has been vegging for 53 days.  It was burnt pretty bad a few weeks ago and has just started growing again in the last few days.  I was really happy about it and checked on it last night.  Today I found the white mold. The humidity might have been a little high, around 50-65% depending on the time of day.  Good airflow in the box.

Plants are in organic soil.  One gallon pots with the bottom 1/3 supersoil and around the roots after transplant is som organic potting soil I got at the hydro store.  Has more coco than I am used to and doesn't seem to drain as well.   I watered the plant on Saturday with RO water and General Organics Cal/Mag. 

Has anyone seen this before?

IMG_4897.JPG

IMG_4899.JPG

IMG_4900.JPG

IMG_4901.JPG

“You have control over your work alone, never the fruit.”  "If you don't try to be great, you don't really even have a good chance of being good"

I suspect over watering and lack of air circulation around the pots is the problem, as to whether that is good or bad mold... No idea, but I would remove it.  You can certainly grow without fungus on your soil. Thats my best guess mooman

Disappointment is caused by unrealistic expectations. / The more I learn about people the more I like my dog. / Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. / Its like everything it depends on everything else. 

Thank you ODB I have the plant quarantined and will take the top layer of soil off.  I will also give the box a white down and throw an extra fan in there. 

“You have control over your work alone, never the fruit.”  "If you don't try to be great, you don't really even have a good chance of being good"

I have heard the stuff referred to as Santa's Beard.  it's a sign that you have a living soil going (which is good)

try to make sure that your soil goes from really moist to really dry, and not just moist all the time, and you should be just fine

Each One, Teach One   :vap_smiley::vap_smiley::vap_smiley:

As MMM stated, I think thats what the fungi is.  I would assume it not harmful, but I have grown quite a bit in organic soil, and never had white masses of stuff on my dirt.  Even if it is beneficial, I would think you are overwatering to get those results.  The pot should feel nearly weightless before you water IMO

Disappointment is caused by unrealistic expectations. / The more I learn about people the more I like my dog. / Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. / Its like everything it depends on everything else. 

Yea I have been letting the soil get bone dry before I water again.  I have removed the top layer of soil and will keep an eye on things.  Thanks for the help guys!

Hopefully it's just old Santa's Beard trying to help this elf grow some nice presents :)

My best wishes are with ya Mooman