Welcome New Members. Click and introduce yourselves. Read more... ×
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CatManMoo

MooMan's Mad Science Lab

Ya it is definitely losing pressure with the extracts in the chamber.  I will try a dry run today.  The pump has plenty of oil so I don't think that is the issue. 

“You have control over your work alone, never the fruit.”  "If you don't try to be great, you don't really even have a good chance of being good"

:PIFROCKS:

Disappointment is caused by unrealistic expectations. / The more I learn about people the more I like my dog. / Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. / Its like everything it depends on everything else. 

If you can confirm it doesnt lose pressure when its empty then i can offer a better guess. Depending on how much alcohol/water is in the extract, it may be off gassing so much it won't allow the chamber to reach full vacuum. Id try leaving the pump running and see if it won't reach full vacuum after a few hours.

Ok so I emptied the chamber and started the vacuum up.  I kept firm pressure on the lid when the vacuum was starting to help it get a better seal per the manual.  It reached -28 Hg within a few minutes and never went any further.  I had the pump on for over two hours and the needle never moved past the -28 Hg. 

I then closed the chamber and turned off the pump.  At one hour there was no pressure loss.  At three hours the needle was at -27.5 Hg.  This morning it was under -25 Hg.  Seems like it isn't holding pressure.  Any ideas?

“You have control over your work alone, never the fruit.”  "If you don't try to be great, you don't really even have a good chance of being good"

Yup you have a very small imperfection in a seal somewhere more than likely Id check all the connections and make sure they are sealed.  That is a really small leak though man, and I wonder if that is just the nature of the beast for that product.   

Disappointment is caused by unrealistic expectations. / The more I learn about people the more I like my dog. / Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. / Its like everything it depends on everything else. 

Definitely not the nature from my experience. I havent had any complications with that set up, but I'm terribly sorry for your complications. Especially since its on my recommendation.

all I can guess is its a leak at the gasket holding the y connector to the lid. I believe there is an o-ring. Make sure its debris free and intact (no cracks)

a little mineral oil (depending on O-ring type) helps out too. 

No worries I have had this set up sitting around for a few months without taking it out of the box.  I will check all connections tonight.  Otherwise I will speak to the company I purchased it from about getting a replacement that works. 

On a positive note the extractions that I have made are super strong!!! 

Hehehehe, Nice man on the strong extracts! :D Id ship it back too, but maybe call customer support first and get a RO number lined up to expedite your transaction. maybe they will know at tech support what it may likely be and save some hassle. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks guys.  I tightened down every connection and put a hose clamps on the inlet connections.  This allowed me to get to full vacuum (~-28.8 Hg at 1000ft).  Once this was reached I closed connections and watched the meter.  It let out just as much pressure as the tests before.  Something isn't correct with the set up.  I will contact customer service tomorrow.

The instruction manual says that it could let out a max of 2.5 Hg in 24 hours, however at 24 hours mine had let out 13 Hg.  I reached the 2.5 Hg threshold within 3 hours. 

I do think that there is residual solvent left in the extracts because they are a little harsh right away but finish with the taste of the strain. 

Thanks for the update MooMan :D   Do you have a link to what kind of apparatus your dealing with there? Im curious. 

Cool moo, thanks!  That's a neat piece of equipment.  

Well there was a leak.  I have not had much time to work on this so it has been slow getting things fixed.

The manufacturer had me take dishsoap and put it on the inside (bottom) of the holes that have the t-valve and gauge to check for leaks.  As soon as I turned on the pump bubbles started forming where the gauge is screwed into the chamber.  Found my leak!  The company is sending me a new unit today with a return address label for this one.  Great customer service from Best Value Vacs.

On a side note I did a 20 g run of premature large White Rhino buds last night.  Instead of using a coffee filter at the end I decided to use 6 panes of cheese cloth to make a less selective filter.  It got out the particulate but will most likely leave some of the waxes.  I will see what the taste and smell is like compared to the stuff that is filtered with a coffee filter.  I am hoping for more flavor. 

Excellent Moo! Glad to hear they got you sorted, maybe a little thread sealer would "SEAL" the deal.  :P    This is good stuff to me, my idea of a extraction is bubble hash. :D   Lay it down in stuff I can relate too moo! 

Unfortunately you will pull a more soapy flavor with buds that aren't fully cured. You get exactly what you put in with alcohol.

Unless the bud smells great and tastes great, your oil will reflect.

butane or Hexane is the better option for undercured or sugar leaf as they are non polar.

I sorry I wasn't more clear.  The buds have been curing for 2+ months.  They were just harvested premature, around 40 days.  I have some scraping to do tonight but overall the extract looks yummy.

I have been inspired again to get back into making some QWET after graywolf and p8ntxtremists recent experiments.  This one I used trim and small nugs from my Strawberry Banana harvests.  The material going in was very good and I know the smell and taste like the back of my hand. 

I had 28 grams all together.  This time I charged the canister with 3 NO2 and opted for a 5 minute soak.  3 of those minutes the canister was put back in the freezer.  After I pulled it out and depressurized the canister I gave it good shake.  Then filtered into pyrex.  Once I scraped the material it was a mixed consistency of waxy brown sugar and dry powder.  After 24 hours vacuum it is all a light golden brown dry powder.  I imagine some heat would bring it all together again. 

I must say that it smells exactly like the starting material. I tasted a little dab last night of some of the scraped stuff and it had a great taste.  I can't wait to try it now that its purged.  I have been purging at room temp.  Should I be adding heat??

IMG_5849_zpsa28601bf.jpg

~16 hours later

IMG_5852_zps0f6092af.jpg

Close Up pics of the pyrex

IMG_5853_zps919ee1ee.jpg

I thought it kind of looked like snake skin

IMG_5873_zpsfb700869.jpg

Scraped Up

IMG_5882_zpsd4b5a44f.jpg

IMG_5884_zpsa9da86be.jpg

IMG_5881_zps1ea1ef93.jpg

In the vacuum

IMG_5888_zps169787d7.jpg

Looks great moo!

This stuff is potent as any dabs I can buy.  One hit a little to big took me to outer space!  I can still tell a difference between hitting a QWET vs BHO.  It is in the aftertaste.