Welcome New Members. Click and introduce yourselves. Read more... ×
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CatManMoo

MooMan's Mad Science Lab

Welcome to my lab.  chemist-smiley-emoticon.gif  This is where I will be posting my extraction experiments and results.  Join me in my quest to find safe, flavorful extractions. 

I did a alcohol and nitrous extraction last night based on the tutorial by p8ntxtremist HERE

I started with 20g of some local mid-grade meds and 190 proof Everclear.  I followed the directions almost to the T.  What I did change was that I only filled the whipper up about 1/4 of the way full with alcohol.  Enough to cover and suspend the meds 2x over.  The reason I did this is because I have to drive over an hour to get more Everclear and it takes a while to evaporate a liter of alcohol.

So here are all of the supplies together:

IMG_4825_zps40b3c7fd.jpg

Within the allotted 2 minutes to do the extraction I was able to release and vent 4 nitrous chargers.  I then strained the extraction into a bowl.

IMG_4830_zps15ca12a7.jpg

I then filtered out the particulates through a coffee filter into the Pyrex dish I will be evaporating in.

IMG_4831_zpsb20bc442.jpg

I then covered the Pyrex dish with cheesecloth to keep out dust particles and placed the dish under a fan.  As of this morning it was about 50% evaporated and looking like a nice yellow color.  I cannot wait to scrape this stuff up and try it.   Now I just need to figure out how to use my vacuum chamber. :)

Peace

“You have control over your work alone, never the fruit.”  "If you don't try to be great, you don't really even have a good chance of being good"

Awesome Moo! Your a natural man. :D   That looks about as good as anything to me.....Thanks for letting us peek into your evil lair. 

Disappointment is caused by unrealistic expectations. / The more I learn about people the more I like my dog. / Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. / Its like everything it depends on everything else. 

The vacuum chamber is easy! Flatten the oil out paper thin onto a silicon pad, teflon or parchment paper, and then close the valve that opens the end.

open the valve going into the vacuum. Make sure the lid is centered, and turn it on. When it is a -29.5 on the gauge you can close the valve to the vacuum and it will seal the chamber. Then you can turn off the pump to give it a break and it will continue to pull on the oil. You can refresh the atmosphere every couple of hours and restart the pump to expedite the process.

if you are in a hurry or dont have patience or you want to turn the shatter into wax or honey. You can rest the vac chamber in a warm water bath. Keep it at 115 degrees for shatter. Above that turns to wax, at about 130 it will be honey. Any hotter and you will be boiling the thc and decarbing.

Keep up the good work! I love seeing this.

Btw save your weed that's been run in a jar in the freezer, eventually when you fill it you can do one more wash or you can make butter or cooking oil.

Great tips P8ntxtremist!  My first run yielded .7 of snap and peel consistency before vacuum.  It was not the best buds and I have had them for like a year so I wasn't expecting much.  I will definitely be saving the used material from now on!

I will vacuum it tonight.  I got a oil slick sheet with the chamber so I will start using that.  The vac sounds simple enough thanks for the explanation.  

I was extremely happy about how easy the process and clean up was!!  I have done QWET & QWISO washes before and always end up with my hands soaked in alcohol.  I am going to do some more runs tonight.  I have a bunch of trim leaves from my latest harvest to use.  Plus I have been saving mids to experiment with. 

“You have control over your work alone, never the fruit.”  "If you don't try to be great, you don't really even have a good chance of being good"

Probably only another .1 to .3 left In the buds. Since you are trying to save on alcohol definitely set it aside.

When allowed to dissolve, The nitrous allows the alcohol to become super saturated with oil.

Since conserving alcohol, I would break open the buds to into dime sized pieces then fill to the fill line and charge 3 chargers and let the nitrous dissolve in for a full minute and half. Then purge and open the canister and swirl for the rest of the 2 and a half minutes to 3 minutes.

It should be much more efficient that way. Im still playing around with the times because I extract from all kinds of strains, some that I dont even know the name of. Of all the methods, this is my favorite.

its still the best method I've used :)

Great I will try that method of charging and letting it sit tonight. :)

I love the glass consistency and that's what I am trying to achieve.  You ever use these concentrates in a vape pen?  I have a Cloud Pen with the Halo Titanium Dome and some waxes/shatters work, others just kinda  suck.  I love using this on the go. 

Typically it is plant waxes that leave residue behind in the vape pens.

Since you are extracted with ethanol and freeze filtering, you will not bring any non aromatic waxes into your extract.

This should work the best.

I personally vape off of the smart dabb electric nail. It sits on top of a burner glassworks bubbler with a showerhead and double ratchet.

I love my electric nail. Ive tried the pens, but I prefer to homogenizer my dabs into vegetable glycerin so I can use it in any style ecig.

Very EXCELLENT Moo Man ! BRAVO !!!

Thank You For Sharing. And P8ntxtremist You ROCK ! I Knew You Were A Genius From When You 1st Arrived !

We Thank You Kind Sir For PIF ! One Fine Thread Here Along With All You've Posted P8 !

Most Sincerely, Brother Will/P.S. No Biggie... But I'd Pick Up Some Unbleached Coffee Filters. I Have A Bunch If You Want.

Great idea on the unbleached coffee filters Brother Will I will pick some up tonight!  Thank you for the filter offer but I am much to far away to be able to meet up :) 

Peace

I have been busy extracting and vacuuming.  I think that my vac is pulling correctly but it is not hitting that "ideal" Hg.  At my elevation (1000 ft) the ideal vacuum according to their chart is -28.82 Hg.  I can't get the needle much past -28 Hg.  Well either way it seems to be working I can see bubbles and it is has definitely changed when it gets out the vacuum. 

Here is an extract I did.  The material is trim from a premature harvest of Midwest Special.  This was like 30 day grow so I think that is why it is just a light colored powder.  I couldn't get the powder to hold together by pressing.  It it just little dank shavings.  Got me high as hell when I topped a bowl. 

17g Starting material- 1 gram finished. 

IMG_4869.JPG

IMG_4875.JPG

Here are some more extracts.  This is of premature White Rhino.  The finished product was shiny crystals that were easily formed into little glass balls. 

For one run I used 20g sugar trim, the other 10g smaller to medium nugs.  Yields were 1.3 and 1.5 so not much different. 

IMG_4880.JPG

IMG_4882.JPG

IMG_4887.JPG

IMG_4890.JPG

IMG_4892.JPG

IMG_4894.JPG

IMG_4902.JPG

Sweet man, haha, love to see people just kill it experimenting.  You got the skills man

Disappointment is caused by unrealistic expectations. / The more I learn about people the more I like my dog. / Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. / Its like everything it depends on everything else. 

Love it! By the way! When extracting from kief you do not need to limit your time to 3 minutes. Extract for 10 or 20 minutes with kief :)

Also it may take 3 or 4 runs for your vacuum to break in. But as long as your seeing action its working. You can keep it warm to allow bubbles to move freely to the surface. You can use a shallow pan to make a hot water bath for the chamber to sit in. Keep the temperature at or below 115.

Hey p8ntxtremist how long does your vacuum run before it reaches ideal?

Once my pump was broken in, it takes about 6-10 minutes to reach full vac.

I actually put a fan behind my pump to provide fresh cool air to the intake fan, this allows me to leave it running for longer periods without shutting it off. I typically run my vac non stop when I'm cold vacuuming, I could be wrong, but I believe it does something lol. Occasionally I'll shut it off to give the pump a break if its getting too warm.

Ok I think I may have been doing things wrong.  What I have been doing is turning the pump on for 30 minutes, then closing off the pump line, turning off the pump and letting everything sit.  I come back every few hours and do this again because there has been some pressure loss (usually -28 Hg to -26 Hg in 6 hours).  I might try a water bath and leaving the pump on longer. 

I do not have the experience with extracts as others here do, P8, GW, many others, but Vacuum pumps from years of A/C work is my thing! LOL!  You gotta learn to read your gauges, every set is different and will vary, but I agree with your new practices, no point letting something sit for a half hour unless your dealing a leak test IMHO.  You could try sealing it up with no material and running it to full vacuum, and then shut it down, let it stand to see what your leak off is after a few hours,  or even over night. I think you got good advice above, just my 2 cents.