Graywolf

Skunk Pharmer & Administrator of Extractions

• Private Senior
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,270 posts
  • LocationRiver City

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:28 AM

Here are some choice excerpts from a thread that I found on Canna Cabana forum, taken from the ICMag forum regarding using Lavender as an organic miticide: I haven't tried it, but will pass it on as long as we are on the subject of those !#$%^&($#@ spider mites.

Lavender Extract: Organic Miticide

jaykush, the plant extract expert in the online cannabis community, generously shared this with the ICMag community and the feedback has been pretty incredible. Lots of people who have battled mites for a long time with many different chemicals and products have found that this completely wipes out mites within a few treatments, permanently.

Lavender flowers soaked in water for 24-48 hours. Strain the plant material out really well, then dilute 50:1 with plain water and apply to the plants with a sprayer.
• The ratio isn't critical, but it's something like 1 tbsp per cup of water.
• You can use fresh or dried lavender, but keep in mind that as with all plant extracts, using dried material will give you a more potent extract.
• For increased effectiveness, add a couple drops of a good natural soap (like Bronner's) to the diluted solution prior to spraying.
• Be sure you spray all leaves. Especially pay attention to the undersides.
• This treatment also seems to kill eggs.
• Spray every 3-5 days until mites are eradicated.

Jaykush's words directly:

simply take some lavender sprigs( sticks with flower buds on them) and strip the flower buds off. Take a 1 liter bottle, add a 1/4 cup or so of lavender flower buds. Let soak for 48 hours, then strain the plant material out well. Dilute 1:50 and spray your plants lightly on infected areas, make sure to get under the leaves. Repeat in 5 days. So far everyone i have told it to and has tried it has had success in killing mites, coot said even the eggs die which is pretty cool.
just repeat the spray every 5 days if your plants are heavily infested, ive seen very infested plants that needed 2-3 applications. But the good thing is your also feeding your plant along with killing mites. I apply lavender tea all the time for general plant health and i dont even have mites.

So everyone knows, one of the more common lavenders i have used Lavandula angustifolia. But i have used at least 6 cultivars with this method.

I AM NOT SURE IF THE ESSENTIAL OIL YOU BUY AT THE STORE WILL WORK!!!! The lavender plant has over 500 active chemical compounds, i am not sure how much is transferred to the essential oils. There is a chance that one of the key mite killing chemicals did not transfer over. I prefer to use fresh because i have lots of lavender.

Testimonials:

I went pretty light on my lavender. 3g grams of dried flowers only. Very fragrant. I also let the solution sit for 4 days before using, but even at that concentration it seems to have killed all the spider mites that were hit.--------------

It was the moderator JayKush who first brought this to the board. He should be elevated to 'Organic God' by ICMAG - the lavender tea is without a doubt the most effective insecticide that I've ever used - including neem seed tree products, bicarbonates, et al. Nothing short of amazing actually.------------------

I took a cup of some desert lavender added it to a gallon of water and bubbled that for 24hours. Added 2.5ml "Dr Bronner's Magic Soap" (18-in-one Hemp Peppermint Organic Castille Soap).

I sprayed the plants for two weeks every 5 days.

THE MITES ARE GONE.------------------
  • Brother Will likes this

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.

#2 Envind

Envind

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Locationright here.

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:53 AM

a newer company that is out, SNS, has a few different organics.
They are all based on small amounts of essential oils.
I have about all of the ones they use at home, will start testing with them. My only concern with lavender, the flavor is pervasive, strong, and dominant, I would be afraid my buds could taste like old lady soap.
***WARNING***
Nothing I say is true, safe, or reasonable. Disregard any and all information I give, I have no idea what I am talking about.

#3 Vinny

Vinny

Smurf

• Private Senior
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Locationhalfway twixt Portland and Seattle

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:20 PM

I was going to pick some fresh lavender for a potpourri basket for my Mom, so NOW I have an "ulterior motive" BWAAHAAHAAAHAAAA!!! lol

I've heard from the farmers around here that this fall and early winter is going to see a 50-year cycle of all kinds of mites, spiders, fleas and ticks, (these ol' boyz're usually right too) so I am definitely going to try that!

Thanks for the post!

One Love,

Vinny :2abc1509-f799-4aec-ba8a-2c16f57(my gurls are doing their happy dance cause I can afford THAT!!! lol

#4 eloquentsolution

eloquentsolution

CEO Specialized Formulations LLC

• Private Senior
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Locationse pdx

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:43 AM

yes, lavender is strong, envind. i'm sure that is why it works. the aromatics is frequently a big part of mother natures tool bag of attraction and repulsion. but you are right, someone should test this possibility. looks like vinny is first to bat. someone interested enough to duplicate the process gw posted?

#5 SHERLOCK

SHERLOCK

Lover

• Honorary Administrator
  • 228 posts
  • Location221 B BAKER STREET.LOL redmond or

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:42 PM

MAN THAT ONE AWESOME POST THANK YOU GW!

13934958cb1f711m3.jpg

#6 Suzycrmcheese

Suzycrmcheese

Music Forum Leader

• Private Senior
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts
  • LocationEugene

Users Awards

Posted 21 August 2011 - 03:54 PM

I have been battling spider mites for months. I have tried everything! Avid, Floramite, Atomic green, Organicide, AzaMax,
Spinocide, Plant Vitality Plus only sold in the UK, OxiDate. The Avid and Floramite did not even kill adults so they are obviously super mites.
I meticulously sprayed every leaf under and over..top of soil..branches, stems. I would think they were gone, and they would
be back. I have spent a small fortune, a ridiculous amount of time, and been stressed out to the max
I tried the lavender treatment today, and it definitely kills the adults, so I am very hopeful. I will keep a regular spraying regimen, as I am not
sure about the eggs. I had to buy quite a large amount of flowers as Mountain Rose Herbs had a $10 minimum, but since it was local
I saved on the shipping. Not sure about using it if you are far into the flower cycle??

If anyone would like to try this let me know, and I can hook you up!

$10 for lavender flowers..peace of mind ...priceless

Thank you so much for this posting!!!!

#7 eloquentsolution

eloquentsolution

• Private Senior
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Locationse pdx

Users Awards

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:07 PM

cool suzy! so i take it you are using this in veg. keep us informed!

#8 Dudz

Dudz

Freak of Nature

• Private Senior
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,652 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:18 PM

Yeah definitely keep us up to date with long-term results, Suzy.

If we can really make our own effective organic miticide that easily (and cheaply), I would be ecstatic. Even more so if it doesn't make buds taste funny when used in flower. I already brew my own guano tea. It wouldn't take anything for me to brew a 2nd bucket filled with lavender. LOL

#9 Suzycrmcheese

Suzycrmcheese

Music Forum Leader

• Private Senior
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts
  • LocationEugene

Users Awards

Posted 22 August 2011 - 01:08 PM

Yeah definitely keep us up to date with long-term results, Suzy.

If we can really make our own effective organic miticide that easily (and cheaply), I would be ecstatic. Even more so if it doesn't make buds taste funny when used in flower. I already brew my own guano tea. It wouldn't take anything for me to brew a 2nd bucket filled with lavender. LOL

I will keep you posted. Mine are in veg, so I won't know about the taste.

#10 Vinny

Vinny

Smurf

• Private Senior
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:22 PM

We ( my folks and I...makes me smile, are making the lavender tea as this is typed, I am so thankful to have so much help from so many. I apologize for not being on the boards, for the past few days I have been taking a course of Cipro ( 500mg twelve hours apart) and my brain simply does not function. It's like I'm not here and here at the same time. I called the pharmacy to make sure I wasn't having some weird reaction, cause this stuff just zaps all energy and makes you almost drunk. It is the Cipro. It can do it to otherwise healthy people. I am also very thankful to whomever invented "spell check," "backspace," and "delete."

We are using (I believe) two different varieties of lavender because one had long, grass-like stems of 20"-36", more extended flowers, also bed-planted many years ago. The others were similar, but potted, which may account for the stems being shorter 6"-9", (but) the flowers darker purple with flowers shorter and thicker also. As a sufactant, would equivalents measures of *urphy'* O*l Soa* (no-spamming....lol) work the same as dish soap etc?

Anyway, I had to use an extra days dose of my non-pharmaceutical in order to try and communicate with people. I may have some very good news to report, only two-and-a-half days of this Cipro left so by the time I start probiotics to replace the "good bacteria" this stuff is killing along with (hopefully either preventing the the bowels from systemic infection or killing off any that may be responsible for acute diverticulitis) the lavender miticide tea will be ready, I should be on the mend to some extent, and will report upon results.

Love You Guys (and Ladies...)

May God's Will Be Done.

Vincent

#11 Envind

Envind

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Locationright here.

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:09 PM

Think food grade... Cocowet or Dr Bonners are organic food grade soaps.... murphy oil soap I think would be poison.

And I am growing lavender with my outdoor plants, immediately under them, seems to not suck... no bugs, but then, I didn't have bugs on the other side of the yard, before I moved them to the lavender. And Rosemary (a miticide treatment by SNS is a 10% rosemary essential oil and surfectant, to be watered down 16oz bottle to 96 oz total).
***WARNING***
Nothing I say is true, safe, or reasonable. Disregard any and all information I give, I have no idea what I am talking about.

#12 eloquentsolution

eloquentsolution

• Private Senior
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Locationse pdx

Users Awards

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:10 PM

i agree with food grade. no murphy's.

#13 Vinny

Vinny

Smurf

• Private Senior
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 September 2011 - 11:58 AM

I used 1/4 cup of dried lavender flowers, and let them steep for two days. I used 1 and a half fluid ounces to dilute into a gallon of non-chlorinated water, and added a half teaspoon of non-scented dish soap as a surfactant. I sprayed them on the 25th, and again on the 29th.

There has been marked improvement on some of the bugs, however they are now really getting going into flower, and like Envind, I am worried that the turpenides will cause the flowers to smell like lavender.

Also, does anyone know if the tea can be used as a soil drench?

I think I may have some kind of caterpillar/moth issue, and finally was able to get at least a picture of one, and I did get both the caterpillar and this weird spider that "folds up" the leaf, sews it shut and then stays in there with an egg sack. The spider is about half the size of a pea, with a cream yellow abdomen. I've also noticed a bigger and darker yellow spider occasionally laying right outside the "nest" I am going to take them to the extension place.

As soon as I can (my camera was stolen) I will get some pics up.

Vinny

#14 Envind

Envind

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Locationright here.

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:58 PM

plant teas are used commonly in biodynamic farming. a few soil experts say to bubble a tea, after steeping it for days to a week. aerating it will kill the bad bacteria off, and make it useful again.
Haven't tried it this way, though, but it should be fine for a soil drench, as long as you aerate any phytotoxins away.
***WARNING***

#15 Dudz

Dudz

Freak of Nature

• Private Senior
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,652 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:09 PM

For soil drench, I would recommend testing it on a plant you're not too worried about before trying it on something you're trying save from the insects. Something like.... make an extra clone, wait until it is well rooted, drench the sucker from head to toe ...and wait to see what happens :)

#16 eloquentsolution

eloquentsolution

• Private Senior
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Locationse pdx

Users Awards

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:15 AM

For soil drench, I would recommend testing it on a plant you're not too worried about before trying it on something you're trying save from the insects. Something like.... make an extra clone, wait until it is well rooted, drench the sucker from head to toe ...and wait to see what happens :)

this is always my plan, but time forces the issue and i usually just go for it.

#17 Vinny

Vinny

Smurf

• Private Senior
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:47 PM

I know this is an old thread, but for the first time in almost 3 years I have actually been able to grow some strains. And as predicted by the old-timers around here, the mites, moths, inchworms, gnats, fleas etcetera are coming out like Elton John in a gay bar! Am preparing the lavender again as they (colectively: the (*&*(&^$ BUGS!) are attacking the leaves beyond anything I've ever seen!

I reckon I'll know if it does impart any weird taste to the flowers because all of my plants are in flower. Don't know, but I took and rooted a good cutting, so will try the soil drench as well.

Anybody know an extremely cheap way to keep the pots from getting so cold at night? On these clear nights we are already dropping down into the 40's, and the things got so big I can't fit them in to my flower room.

#18 EDDIEKIRK

EDDIEKIRK

Humble Servant

• Administrators
  • 20,710 posts
  • LocationPortland oregon

Users Awards

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:14 PM

I know this is an old thread, but for the first time in almost 3 years I have actually been able to grow some strains. And as predicted by the old-timers around here, the mites, moths, inchworms, gnats, fleas etcetera are coming out like Elton John in a gay bar! Am preparing the lavender again as they (colectively: the (*&*(&^$ BUGS!) are attacking the leaves beyond anything I've ever seen!

I reckon I'll know if it does impart any weird taste to the flowers because all of my plants are in flower. Don't know, but I took and rooted a good cutting, so will try the soil drench as well.

Anybody know an extremely cheap way to keep the pots from getting so cold at night? On these clear nights we are already dropping down into the 40's, and the things got so big I can't fit them in to my flower room.

i hope someone jumps in here to help.

Cheri said to make sure the plants don't sit on the ground. Put them up on a crate or something so there not sitting right on the outside ground. (unless they have rooted).

When you come by I can throw you some Oxydate. As donated by <KZ>

#19 eloquentsolution

eloquentsolution

• Private Senior
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Locationse pdx

Users Awards

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:59 AM

stack water bottles around the pots. they will gain heat in the day to keep the pots warm at night.

btb, i purchased a container of lavender for pest control. still afraid to use it in flower. mighty wash is working OK. it is a desparately bad mite year. i'm spraying at least daily in veg. the diligence in early stages have saved me in flower.

the last few plants i have harvested have been pretty war torn. i attempted to keep the vegging going as the mites were eating. the results were too much nitrogen, harsh smoke. hate that.

Edited by eloquentsolution, 06 September 2012 - 09:03 AM.

#20 Dudz

Dudz

Freak of Nature

• Private Senior
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,652 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:58 PM

I would dig some holes and "plant" the pots in the ground. Mother earth will keep them warmer for you.
Since they are in flower, just don't attempt to remove the plants from the pots.

Easy :)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users