9 replies to this topic

#1 Envind

Envind

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Locationright here.

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:04 PM

I have been battleing with no money, in organics, an absolute infestation of root aphids. They are equally everywhere, I am afraid I picked up a bad bag of castings or compost from a local shop: after I grabbed them, a guy in the shop told me how bad the bugs had been.

so now, I have been watching my colas die off, I have treated with neem granules and spinosad, to no avail. the neem slowed them down, the spinosad was an absolute waste of money.
Azamax is great, but the cost has been prohibitive with the sheer volume of dirt I have in bloom this time.

Thought this might be a good read:
http://www.gpnmag.com/articles/some.pdf
***WARNING***
Nothing I say is true, safe, or reasonable. Disregard any and all information I give, I have no idea what I am talking about.

#2 Gypsy Rose

Gypsy Rose

• Senior
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationHome Sweet Home

Users Awards

Posted 30 July 2011 - 04:52 PM

I found this How to Fight of Root Aphids

I am curious if using nematodes would work quickly enough. They sell on ebay for $13.00 (with shipping) per million, but could probably be found elsewhere for cheaper.

Sorry the little buggers are causing you problems. I, for one, appreciate the information you posted. The article definitely made me realize how damaging they can be, and what to keep an eye out for. Always learning something new.....

#3 Suzycrmcheese

Suzycrmcheese

Music Forum Leader

• Private Senior
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  • LocationEugene

Users Awards

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:13 PM

Sorry to hear of your problems. If it ain't one thing it's another eh?
I think I have finally licked my mite problem, and I am sure hoping I
never get these. Unfortunately I have no advise for you, but I appreciate
the info you posted!!!

#4 Envind

Envind

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Locationright here.

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:44 PM

Azamax and azatrol are not as useful at the end of bloom, according to the guys at the grow shop.
***WARNING***
Nothing I say is true, safe, or reasonable. Disregard any and all information I give, I have no idea what I am talking about.

#5 Gypsy Rose

Gypsy Rose

• Senior
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:06 PM

I just ordered 7 million nematodes (they're supposed to help with yard pests like fleas too, so I ordered extra to see if they work) for $23.99 with shipping.

If you want to try nematodes Envind, I am happy to share some with you.

#6 Envind

Envind

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Locationright here.

Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:34 PM

That would be awesome, I could actually put them in at the end of veg/ the potting up stage before bloom, give them a chance to work.
Very cool. If you want to place a bigger order, I can paypal you the money, get more bugs for the cash.
***WARNING***

#7 Dudz

Dudz

Freak of Nature

• Private Senior
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,652 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:03 PM

Get some Bonide Pyrethin Spray. Mix as directed and do a light soil drench with it using a sprayer.
I wouldn't recommend doing this in flower cycle though.

I had a nasty infestation of root aphids brewing on my last run. One treatment eradicated them.

#8 Gypsy Rose

Gypsy Rose

• Senior
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:16 PM

Envind, I am happy to share the nematodes with you. I should have them by next weekend.

#9 Gypsy Rose

Gypsy Rose

• Senior
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 August 2011 - 05:46 AM

Envind...nematodes have arrived

#10 KeepinBlazed

KeepinBlazed

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

I bought some nasty stuff from local Fredys. Malathion from ortho max$8.95 stinky nasty stuff
Don't spray on plant I sprayed twice a week after watering on pots and soil only and don't drench soil to much just lightly. It'll put the hurting to those bastards real quik

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

By EDDIEKIRK in Adiministrators's Blog, on 26 October 2011 - 10:47 AM

I have been battleing with no money, in organics, an absolute infestation of root aphids.  They are equally everywhere, I am afraid I picked up a bad bag of castings or compost from a local shop: after I grabbed them, a guy in the shop told me how bad the bugs had been.

so now, I have been watching my colas die off, I have treated with neem granules and...

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users