31 replies to this topic

#21 Theo

Theo

• Private Senior
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:00 PM

There have been a lot of good replies on this subject, I've given thought to many of them, such as the idea of using cedar pet bedding instead of red cedar mulch. I have not tried pet bedding so I cannot say it may be worth a try, cedar planking seems to be an option as well again I have not tried this and it seems to be cost prohibitive for me. Oh and the idea of washing the red cedar mulch before putting it into the garden does not seem like a very good idea to me. My mentor mentioned nothing of washing it. My thinking on it is that if you choose to wash it you may be washing out the things in the mulch that makes it work. Your guess is as good as mine. Oh and I wouldn't worry so much about the cedar mulch coming with bugs due to the fact that the entire idea behind it is to drive bugs away. I will admit to seeing some predator bugs though such as a spider and a centipede. However they died as a result of a lack of bugs. Just curious to know how many of you are considering trying this simple method? I personally cannot see gardening without it at this point in time. What ever method you choose I wish you all happy gardening. Yours truly DB.

#22 k1ndz0n3

k1ndz0n3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts
  • Gmail:k1ndz0n3.jc@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon City

Users Awards

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:16 PM

As a related thought, I am curious if a 'sachet' in front of air intake containing aromatic cedar, and dried lavender would have any effect ? Perhaps even marigold flowers and chrysanthemum petals as well ? Would the little pests be put off by the odors and not want to hang out ?
Sounds like the mulch is helping out in an effective way for your purposes. It only makes sense that it works, and the organic method being used is perfectly eco-friendly ! Keep us informed with progress reports as possible. Thank you for sharing your results !
<KZ>

"Minds are like parachutes, both function best when opened" 1KZSignature.jpg

#23 Theo

Theo

• Private Senior
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:10 PM

As a related thought, I am curious if a 'sachet' in front of air intake containing aromatic cedar, and dried lavender would have any effect ? Perhaps even marigold flowers and chrysanthemum petals as well ? Would the little pests be put off by the odors and not want to hang out ?
Sounds like the mulch is helping out in an effective way for your purposes. It only makes sense that it works, and the organic method being used is perfectly eco-friendly ! Keep us informed with progress reports as possible. Thank you for sharing your results !
<KZ>

I would be very curious as to if your method would work or not. Are you willing to try your theory and report back to us as to your results. If it helps you I'll add that to my gardening in addition to what I'm doing yours truly DB.

#24 k1ndz0n3

k1ndz0n3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts
  • Gmail:k1ndz0n3.jc@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon City

Users Awards

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:19 PM

I do not currently have any spider mites. I applied a chemical insecticide (floramite) before transplanting my starts out of soil, into a pumice stone media that I use to grow in. I admire those using organic pest control and nutrients, while choosing to use chemicals for my own garden. I am interested in learning all that I can about good gardening practices. This information sharing helps everyone to learn about what works well.
Thank you for sharing !
<KZ>

"Minds are like parachutes, both function best when opened" 1KZSignature.jpg

#25 Theo

Theo

• Private Senior
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 September 2011 - 04:40 AM

I do not currently have any spider mites. I applied a chemical insecticide (floramite) before transplanting my starts out of soil, into a pumice stone media that I use to grow in. I admire those using organic pest control and nutrients, while choosing to use chemicals for my own garden. I am interested in learning all that I can about good gardening practices. This information sharing helps everyone to learn about what works well.
Thank you for sharing !
<KZ>

chemicals did you say chemicals? Why on earth would you feel a need to use potentially dangerous chemicals? It's up to you of course, however I am curious. I have used chemicals in times past for emergencies so I am less than perfect in fact I'm not entirely certain that I am 100% organic now in fact now that I think about it the soil im using may contain chemical fertilizers at the time it was that soil or no soil. I will be glad to be ridden of it. Now that I can get fox farm for $10.00 a bag it will no longer be necessary for me too use trash soil, my personal goal has always been to achieve 100% organic and one day I will yours truly DB.

#26 Graywolf

Graywolf

Skunk Pharmer & Administrator of Extractions

• Private Senior
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,251 posts
  • LocationRiver City

Users Awards

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:30 AM

Yet another possible solution?

Bounce definitely works on mosquitoes, but haven't tried it with mites and gnats.

http://lifehacker.com/5721187/bounce-fabric-softener-keeps-mosquitoes-and-gnats-away

#27 EDDIEKIRK

EDDIEKIRK

Humble Servant

• Administrators
  • 20,617 posts
  • LocationPortland oregon

Users Awards

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:20 PM

I have always used the neem and dawn soap in veg and never get them there.

I got this from my mentor. EloquentSolutions
:1974_eating_popcorn:

#28 Ronnie B

Ronnie B

Black Sheep

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:08 AM

not sure just why but i have yet to have mites indoors, ever think the paint[flat white Kiltz] you choose helps.

and just how do you tell? please do tell, how you differ the regular mite from a super mite ????

maybe the super ones have a cape with a big red S you see under a scope hahahahahahahahaha

#29 Graywolf

Graywolf

Skunk Pharmer & Administrator of Extractions

• Private Senior
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,251 posts
  • LocationRiver City

Users Awards

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:20 AM

not sure just why but i have yet to have mites indoors, ever think the paint[flat white Kiltz] you choose helps.

and just how do you tell? please do tell, how you differ the regular mite from a super mite ????

maybe the super ones have a cape with a big red S you see under a scope hahahahahahahahaha

Besides the two white spots on their backs, they have a big yellow S on their thorax.

#30 eloquentsolution

eloquentsolution

CEO Specialized Formulations LLC

• Private Senior
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Locationse pdx

Users Awards

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:46 PM

Bounce definitely works on mosquitoes, but haven't tried it with mites and gnats.

http://lifehacker.com/5721187/bounce-fabric-softener-keeps-mosquitoes-and-gnats-away

used to hang them at exhoust to aid with aromatics. mites came in against the fan pst the bounce, so i think not.

#31 doctordoob

doctordoob

• Senior
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Users Awards

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:41 PM

used to hang them at exhoust to aid with aromatics. mites came in against the fan pst the bounce, so i think not.

my cousin had his meds in his top dresser drawer and set a box of bounce dryer sheets on top of the dresser overnite by accident and the meds were ruined and tasted snuggly soft lol

Im just curious as to if each of these methods will affect the taste of the final product? That would suck to harvest a good amount of meds and every inhale tastes like your sitting at a campfire with smoke blowing in your face hahaha

#32 eloquentsolution

eloquentsolution

CEO Specialized Formulations LLC

• Private Senior
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Locationse pdx

Users Awards

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:12 PM

my cousin had his meds in his top dresser drawer and set a box of bounce dryer sheets on top of the dresser overnite by accident and the meds were ruined and tasted snuggly soft lol

Im just curious as to if each of these methods will affect the taste of the final product? That would suck to harvest a good amount of meds and every inhale tastes like your sitting at a campfire with smoke blowing in your face hahaha

that is why i placed it at the exhaust, not by. and is why i do not use chemical means to remove odor in the environment but instead, in the ventilation. actually, i don't use this method at all anymore, but was once necessary. glad you brought this up.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users