31 replies to this topic

#1 Theo

Theo

• Private Senior
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:14 AM

I must live in spider mites city, because I was always getting spider mites. It seemed as though I'd just get rid of them only to have them come right back. Sound familiar? If so you may want to consider this little tip that I was turned onto. I was simply told to: get a bag of red Cedar open it and place it in my grow room. Well my grow room measures in at 10 x 10 too small to have a bag in my way. So I opened it and proceeded to spread it around the base of each plant, on the floor. At about 2 inches deep. My end result was, Cedar beds surrounding the plants and large walking paths in my room. It looks great! More like a garden I think? Ha ha! Anyway: on top of this I stopped bringing in outside plants, without first having had to properly treat and segregate the new plant from the garden. So far on this little experimental tip, I personally have not seen a spider mite in my garden since I started. So far it's been weeks, maybe two months or better with no spider mites. Oh and did I forget to mention: I have not been treating my garden preventively or otherwise. My personal experience on this has been great so far! I sincerely hope you find this method as successful as I have.(Results may vary) ha ha! Yours truly DB.

#2 Envind

Envind

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Locationright here.

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:16 AM

very cool. wonder if a cedar mulch on the tops of the pots would dual purpose, helping with fungal presence, and allowing the scent of the cedar to chase off the bugs. Good find, DB!
***WARNING***
Nothing I say is true, safe, or reasonable. Disregard any and all information I give, I have no idea what I am talking about.

#3 Theo

Theo

• Private Senior
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:49 AM

very cool. wonder if a cedar mulch on the tops of the pots would dual purpose, helping with fungal presence, and allowing the scent of the cedar to chase off the bugs. Good find, DB!

I think Cedar mulch would contain acid. So I think it may affect your soil pH. Although of this I'm not certain. It may be advisable to do some research on it before putting anything on your soil. Yours truly DB.

#4 Envind

Envind

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Locationright here.

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:51 AM

the ph isn't the problem: by allowing the soil to maintain a fungal presence, the ph stays acidic, and then you add, incrementally, bacteria to keep it from being too acidic. if the PH is down to 4, bacteria cannot form their bio slime. ph above 7, and the fungus cannot grow as well.
I would be more worried about any resins or other toxins that might leach out.
***WARNING***
Nothing I say is true, safe, or reasonable. Disregard any and all information I give, I have no idea what I am talking about.

#5 Dudz

Dudz

Freak of Nature

• Private Senior
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,652 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:03 AM

Ph tends to climb anyhow.
A small amount of acidic presence on the top probably wouldn't hurt. Just watch the ph of runoff water. I surely wouldn't recommend going overboard with too much of it though.

#6 Cheri❤

Cheri❤

Humble Servant

• Moderators
  • 3,019 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:03 AM

hmmmm.interesting :)

THE CODE OF HUMANITY:I CHOOSE TO COMMUNICATE TRUTH,I CHOOSE THE REALITY OF LIFE,I CHOOSE TO HEAL NOT HURT,I CHOOSE EDUCATION OVER IGNORANCE,I CHOOSE THE POWER OF PEACE,I CHOOSE TO LOVE GOD(OR GOOD)AND SEE GOD OR GOOD IN ALL HUMANITY,I CHOOSE TO SEEK THE SOUL IN ALL LIVING THINGS,I CHOOSE TO LINK TO THE WORLD OF INSPIRATION,I CHOOSE THE PRINCIPLE OF SHARING,I CHOOSE TO BECOME A CO-CREATOR IN LIFE AND LIVE IT MORE ABUNDANTLY.

#7 Dudz

Dudz

Freak of Nature

• Private Senior
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,652 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:05 AM

...And I wouldn't reccomend "cedar mulch". Too many unknowns.

If *I* was to do such a thing (which I am not), I'd use cedar rodent bedding. Available at any pet store.

#8 Theo

Theo

• Private Senior
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:04 PM

Cedar pet bedding you say. I don't see why it wouldn't work as well. But I wonder which is cheaper? For myself I have to go way that saves me the money. There may be an advantage to pet bedding though, because the fact is if you use red Cedar mulch on your floor you have to let it dry out it takes a few days. Once it is dry the downside to this is that if you're a smoker or medicate in your grow room, the Cedar mulch beds become a fire hazard. Just thought you all should be aware of this before you consider using this method. I know from experience because I just about set my Cedar bed on fire. I got lucky, needless to say I don't smoke or medicate my garden any longer. Not to scare anyone off from a great method or anything just the facts oh and there is one other thing, it may be wiser to dry it out before placing any on the floor. As the moisture may cause damage to the floor. Just a couple of things to consider. Whatever your choice may be may your garden always be healthy. Yours truly DB.

#9 Dudz

Dudz

Freak of Nature

• Private Senior
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,652 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:16 PM

I would be worried about the cedar MULCH being contaminated before purchase. It's not made for what we do, and, in my opinion, would be likely to have bugs in the bag. The cedar pet bedding is clean.

#10 Suzycrmcheese

Suzycrmcheese

Music Forum Leader

• Private Senior
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts
  • LocationEugene

Users Awards

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:15 PM

I have been battling super mites for months. Like you, I would think they were gone, and they would be back, and my harvests have suffered. I refused to offer clones cause I wouldn't wish them on anyone. Right now, I think they are gone...fingers crossed. This is an interesting idea, and makes sense as they use cedar in dog beds for fleas. Sounds awfully messy though. Doesn't it blow around with your fans? I encourage you to stay vigilant, and watch for them!

#11 Cheri❤

Cheri❤

Humble Servant

• Moderators
  • 3,019 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:43 PM

i have recent switched to floramite temporarly as we became immune to avid...and neems..supers but its working but do not use thid bloom ever..residuals will still be there if you do...flush well..imo,cheri

THE CODE OF HUMANITY:I CHOOSE TO COMMUNICATE TRUTH,I CHOOSE THE REALITY OF LIFE,I CHOOSE TO HEAL NOT HURT,I CHOOSE EDUCATION OVER IGNORANCE,I CHOOSE THE POWER OF PEACE,I CHOOSE TO LOVE GOD(OR GOOD)AND SEE GOD OR GOOD IN ALL HUMANITY,I CHOOSE TO SEEK THE SOUL IN ALL LIVING THINGS,I CHOOSE TO LINK TO THE WORLD OF INSPIRATION,I CHOOSE THE PRINCIPLE OF SHARING,I CHOOSE TO BECOME A CO-CREATOR IN LIFE AND LIVE IT MORE ABUNDANTLY.

#12 Suzycrmcheese

Suzycrmcheese

Music Forum Leader

• Private Senior
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts
  • LocationEugene

Users Awards

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:11 PM

i have recent switched to floramite temporarly as we became immune to avid...and neems..supers but its working but do not use thid bloom ever..residuals will still be there if you do...flush well..imo,cheri

I was switching back and forth between avid and floramite hoping to avoid a resistance, but they were
still dancing. I have a long list of things I have tried, mostly lately Organicide, and that seemed to kill
the eggs, and was the cheapest.

#13 Envind

Envind

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Locationright here.

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:07 PM

azatrol/azamax.... stuff works wonders, but it start to get expensive, especially if you have to use it as a root drench.
***WARNING***

#14 Gypsy Rose

Gypsy Rose

• Senior
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationHome Sweet Home

Users Awards

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:07 AM

I agree about using the bedding cedar. It is a LOT easier to deal with and you won't end up with a bunch of splinters trying to spread it around. I would assume that it is also cleaner, because its intended use if for animals. Feed and tack stores tend to have reasonable prices on animal bedding, compared to PetSmart (which runs $5-15 per bag depending on size).

Would cedar planks works?

As for mites, we have used dry ice in the past, which worked well in a small area. The plants loved the Co2 burst they got. Its not the route I would suggest, but its always good to have alternative when nothing else seems to work.

#15 Theo

Theo

• Private Senior
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:27 AM

I agree about using the bedding cedar. It is a LOT easier to deal with and you won't end up with a bunch of splinters trying to spread it around. I would assume that it is also cleaner, because its intended use if for animals. Feed and tack stores tend to have reasonable prices on animal bedding, compared to PetSmart (which runs $5-15 per bag depending on size).

Would cedar planks works? I think cedar planks on the floor under the pots would be a better idea than the cedar mulch, as I have learned that steer mulch is extremely Flammable, so smokers beware

As for mites, we have used dry ice in the past, which worked well in a small area. The plants loved the Co2 burst they got. Its not the route I would suggest, but its always good to have alternative when nothing else seems to work.

#16 lazymitch

lazymitch

• Private
  • 149 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:46 AM

Another thing that mites like is Hibiscus.
I bought a couple for my wife since she teaches Hula & was asking a wise man I know if they would be okay to put in my indoor garden for the winter - his response was ABSOLUTELY! all mites will go straight for them!

#17 Graywolf

Graywolf

Skunk Pharmer & Administrator of Extractions

• Private Senior
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,251 posts
  • LocationRiver City

Users Awards

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:50 AM

Our Orchid is covered with their webs and just shrugs them off.

#18 Theo

Theo

• Private Senior
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:57 PM

Updated information on spider mites be gone. I was talking to my mentor and according to her the cedar mulch bedding needs to be replaced about every four months yours truly DB. And

#19 eloquentsolution

eloquentsolution

CEO Specialized Formulations LLC

• Private Senior
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Locationse pdx

Users Awards

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:23 PM

my veg room is staying pretty darn clean with weekly spraying. seems to keep the mites from spreading.

#20 eloquentsolution

eloquentsolution

CEO Specialized Formulations LLC

• Private Senior
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Locationse pdx

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2011 - 04:59 PM

it has been a couple months now, and my veg room is amazingly clean. way better then anything i have done in the past. with this information in hand, i am moving the chips into the bloom room in the next few days. i have high hopes to resolve or at least minimize mite issues.

dudz, good point on the clean product thoughts, but too late for me. sure looks clean. all gardeners hate pests. those products cannot introduce pests into landscapes or they would be sued. these are the products that i bought for professional landscaping jobs, so perhaps i had more confidence or vulnerability. was lucky this time.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users