#41 Purple Power

Purple Power

Moderating the farm

• Moderators
  • 7,227 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Users Awards

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:55 PM

Copper's little doggie pool came in. They do come in smaller and bigger sizes. I was looking for one that was big for Copper to lay down in and small enough so my hens could get in and out of.

8 12 2017 water training 1.jpg

For more info on the doggie pool, click link below

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071HRBGS7/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This doggie pool is for Copper's water desensitizing training. I'm hoping one day, he go in it on his own and lay down on a nice hot day like my hen did yesterday and a little today already. The pictures below are from his 2nd training session. Yesterday afternoon, Copper got to smell and check out the pool. He was shaking once he realized there was water in it (not enough to cover the top of his paws). This is his normal reaction to anything that could have water in it or water related: a cup, a hose, his bowl, rain of any kind, etc. He's a 1/4 lab  a breed well known for their love of water.... I just need to break this fear of water, so this part of him can come out. Copper has the Lab's head shape and webbed feet. I tossed in some food to encourage him to get closer to the pool, but he didn't know how to get the food on the water.

Today, I taught Copper how to get the food and his ball out of the water. I started with teaching him how to get food out of the water. First with my hand under the water and slowly as he got the hang of it removed my hand.

8 12 2017 water training 2.jpg

8 12 2017 water training 3.jpg

8 12 2017 water training 4.jpg

8 12 2017 water training 7.jpg

Once he was good with this new skill, we moved on to the ball. As he gets more confidence picking the ball up from the water, I lower it a little deeper the next time. I'll also let him play a few rounds of fetch. This session was about 2 hours and they'll be another this afternoon.

8 12 2017 water training ball 1.jpg

8 12 2017 water training ball 2.jpg

When Copper steps in on his own, he gets a higher value treat and lots of 'good boy' and pets. This is the first time I haven't seen Copper nervous or shaking around water or start to shake off water when I petted him with a wet hand.

8 12 2017 water training 8.jpg

8 12 2017 water training 9.jpg

8 12 2017 water training 10.jpg

All 4 paws are in

8 12 2017 water training 12.jpg

8 12 2017 water training 13.jpg

8 12 2017 water training 14.jpg

8 12 2017 water training 15.jpg

8 12 2017 water training 16.jpg

8 12 2017 water training 21.jpg

By the end of this training session, there were lots of crumbs in the water. Hens love dog food.

8 12 2017 Feisty in pool 1.jpg

8 12 2017 Feisty in pool 2.jpg

Copper sniffing around figuring out what Feisty keeps pecking at.

8 12 2017 Feisty in pool  with Copper.jpg

This session was focused on Copper going in the pool and standing with all 4 paws in. If he does well with this afternoon's session, we'll move on to sitting in the pool. Below is Copper after his training session. He's sleep barking and kicking his feet.

8 12 2017 Copper after water training.jpg

• EDDIEKIRK likes this

gallery_2188_61_23224.png  

#42 EDDIEKIRK

EDDIEKIRK

Humble Servant

• Administrators
  • 20,710 posts
  • LocationPortland oregon

Users Awards

Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:26 PM

You've gained so much trust from copper. He's gained needed confidence. This really brings smiles to my face.

:D  :)

• Purple Power likes this

#43 Purple Power

Purple Power

Moderating the farm

• Moderators
  • 7,227 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:01 PM

When Copper goes outside, he goes straight to the pool. He stiffs it and wags his tail. This is great since I'm trying to get him to associate water with good stuff, not whatever bad stuff a previous owner did. I got Copper to sit a few times. It did take him a bit to obey the command,... and to sit completely. Once he does then he''ll have to sit a little longer before getting a treat.

8 12 2017 Copper sitting in pool.jpg

The hens have figured out when they see Copper in the pool there are many treats near by. Once my dog goes inside a few hens will jump in and get any treat crumb still floating. It only took them about a minute of me showing them the treats crumbs floating before some were playing hen football in the pool. Feisty so far is the only hen that will lay down in the water.

8 12 2017 Feisty sitting in pool.jpg

8 12 2017 Feisty and Barred sitting in pool 2.jpg

• EDDIEKIRK likes this

#44 Purple Power

Purple Power

Moderating the farm

• Moderators
  • 7,227 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:57 PM

You've gained so much trust from copper. He's gained needed confidence. This really brings smiles to my face.

:D  :)

I've always been great with animals since I can remember. The only animal I didn't get along with according to my parents was our Siamese cat who would steal my bottle and I'd get my bottle back by hit him with a yellow plastic bat. Just one whack and the cat ran and I was happy with my bottle. Provided that the cat didn't steal my bottle, we got along fine though I'm told the cat would first make sure I didn't have a bat. Keep in mind I was under 2 years old at the time. 

What Copper needs is a confident alpha (pack leader). He doesn't only have to trust me, but he must respect me too.  I'm making him think, make choices (which treat or toy does he want, those types), along with his training. I figured his demons with water were smaller then the ones with being alone (separation anxiety). Although we are taking baby steps to address them. I view this as another stepping stone for Copper recovery to becoming the good, healthy and well rounded dog I know he can be. He's the most damaged dog, I've taken in so far.

Most of his training is done in small time frame like when the cats are being fed, Copper has to sit and stay. Only if I say sit and wait can he lay down in that spot if he chooses. As he masters the command at a curtain level (easy, medium, etc), I increase the difficulty.  An example is 'leave it', btw this is one of those commands that could save your dog's live one day. When Copper was learning leave it at the easy level, he just had to not take it. He could look at it, have his nose to it and not move away from it. He is praised every time he does the command right. He could get a treat, play a round of fetch, told he's a good boy, or just a pet. I gave a hard test to graduate from this easy level with a few t-bones. Copper was drooling like if you left the sink barely on, but he didn't take them. I removed the bones from his sight and nose for a bit. Just enough time for him to forget about them, then I took him outside and he played fetch for a bit. After he got the bones. Now in medium level, Copper has to turn and walk away from whatever the 'leave it' command is given to.

Sometimes Copper has a brain fart and does things that I guess worked for him in the past to get what he wants. He slowly learning that they don't work with me like whinning, and I'm glad to say he does them less and less and not as long when he does. He did learn if he goes in the house both Moose and Nut Nibbler will charge and chase him out of the house. He also gets a time outs if needed, my cats also do from time to time.

• EDDIEKIRK likes this

#45 Purple Power

Purple Power

Moderating the farm

• Moderators
  • 7,227 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:27 AM

Yesterday, I was reenforcing for Copper that water is ok to be around, touch, or be wet.  Copper is getting better around water. He doesn't try to shake off the water every time or try to shake it off as long.  I can pick up the hose and he isn't shaking. He still hides, but isn't running to his spot and seems calmer. His tail is still down, but not between his legs now. He sometimes wags his tail.  He can grab his ball out of the water when it's fully submerged.  He'll step in his pool on his own (2 paws). This is a huge improvement. Maybe now when we're playing fetch, he'll grab the ball out of a puddle instead of looking like he needs help getting it, or looking nervous on wet ground.

• EDDIEKIRK likes this

#46 Purple Power

Purple Power

Moderating the farm

• Moderators
  • 7,227 posts

Users Awards

Posted Yesterday, 03:45 PM

Copper got his first bath since starting water desensitizing training. There is improvement :)  .

Before he started water desensitizing training, Copper would hide and shake (from fear). once on a leash, he'd pull away. Once the water touches him, he tries to shake it off asap and start to tremble throughout the entire bath. Normally, it takes two people to give him a bath. One person holds the leash while the other washes the dog.

I was able to give Copper a bath by myself today. He barely pulled away. The only time he did pull away was when I was washing his head. He did shake (fear type) a little towards the end of the bath, but a lot less intense. He did shake the water ...and at times soap off, but a lot less. No more then the average dog.  After the bath he didn't shake as long. He's been known to shake so much, he's fallen over. This time it was more like my past dogs. He also didn't roll around so much on the carpet. 

• EDDIEKIRK likes this

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users