7 replies to this topic

#1 flyin1420

flyin1420

• Private Senior
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 November 2015 - 10:38 AM

So what defines a smoke buddy?  Is it a long term friendship with someone that you smoke with on a regular basis?  Is it just a casual aquaintance; somebody with whom the only thing you have in common is a love for cannabis?  Or is it anybody that you have ever shared a smoke with, even if only once?  My answer to these questions is yes!

Cannabis is a beautiful herb.  It truly does connect people.  It transcends most boundaries.  It is a terrific ice-breaker when meeting new people.  It is a comfortable past-time between old friends.  Over the years I've been smoke buddies with many different types of people.  Corporate types...  Doctors, lawyers, engineers...  black, white, asian, hispanic... airline pilots... business owners, large and small... from the staunchest conservative to the most flaming liberal and all points in between... Jews, Christians, Muslims... some are the people you would least expect.  In my experience, most people that use cannabis do not fit within the classic stereotype of "Stoner".

I was born and raised in Arizona.  Much of my family still lives there, including my grandmother and my aunt.  This past January, my grandmother was in very poor health, and was hospitalized.  My mother and I, fearing the worst, immediately flew to Phoenix to see her and offer our help and support.  We went straight from the airport to the hospital.  My aunt had been there by her side the whole time, and was exhausted. 

After spending a couple of hours with my grandmother, we left the hospital to get some rest. My mom and I would sleep at my grandma's house to care for her dogs. My aunt came over with us to hang out and talk for a bit before she went home.  After a short time, she pulled a pipe and some herb out of her purse and started packing a bowl.

I should probably mention now that my mom claims to have never smoked pot or used any other drugs.  I know for a fact that is not true, but I don't call her on it when she makes the claim.  One of my earliest childhood memories is of watching my dad pass a joint to her and watching her take a hit.  Her sister (my aunt) likes to party.  My aunt is my smoke buddy, and whenever I visit Arizona I make it a point to visit her and partake at least once.

My mom has known about my cannabis consumption for probably as long as I've been consuming it.  I'm very open about it, and I have nothing to hide.  I haven't used any harder drugs (including alcohol) in a long time, and she knows that.  Cannabis is relatively harmless, and I'm not doing anything wrong with it.  With that being said, I had never smoked it in front of my mom before this visit.

So as my mom, my aunt and I are sitting around discussing my grandma's failing health, my aunt hits the bowl she just packed, and hands it to me.  As I accept the pipe, I am acutely aware of the fact that my mom is sitting in front of me and that has never seen me do this before.  This doesn't stop me, and I am not ashamed of it. I am a grown man, and I'm doing nothing wrong.  She pretends not to noticed, and the conversation continues.  For such a momentous occasion in my head, it is actually more of a non-event.  Life goes on.

With increased legalization of both medical and recreational marijuana, it is becoming more and more legitimized.  The stigma is being lifted.  Cannabis is becoming more and more mainstream, and with the threat of prosecution gone I believe that more people will have the opportunity to connect with others in a way that may have been unexpected even a year ago.  More people will know that we are all more alike than we are different.  A beautiful herb indeed!

• EDDIEKIRK likes this

#2 shortglide

shortglide

Advocate/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 6,155 posts
  • Gmail:robinwarnermibc@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon

Users Awards

Posted 29 November 2015 - 11:46 AM

congrats on the color change flyin

• EDDIEKIRK and flyin1420 like this

shortglide-1.jpg

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance --That principle is contempt prior to investigation."Herbert Spencer

Be not afraid of life. Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact. —William James

#3 SomeRandomGuy

SomeRandomGuy

Random Guy that Moderates stuff

• Moderators
  • 1,096 posts
  • LocationMetro Area

Users Awards

Posted 29 November 2015 - 12:05 PM

congrats on the color change flyin

Was thinking the same thing. Like whoa wait is this the same person?

I guess my brain always forgets there is a 1 in the name :D

#4 Caedmon Michael

Caedmon Michael

Poet Warrior

• Private Senior
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,274 posts
  • LocationPortland

Users Awards

Posted 29 November 2015 - 01:38 PM

I'm now picturing you up in the cockpit, passing a doob around with the flight crew at 30,000 feet. :D

This is a great story. It's funny how family can make things awkward and beautiful at the same time.

Welcome to the Hive Mind
My mind is on vacation. Please, kindly inform me if you see it. It is likely wearing a sparkle, rainbow wig, and comes to the name "Kristen."

#5 EDDIEKIRK

EDDIEKIRK

Humble Servant

• Administrators
  • 20,356 posts
  • LocationPortland oregon

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:03 PM

Great story, Tell us whom did you pass it to when you were done? Did your Mom partake that day? lol

I love this, :D

• flyin1420 likes this

#6 shortglide

shortglide

Advocate/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 6,155 posts
  • Gmail:robinwarnermibc@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon

Users Awards

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:24 AM

What bothers me is the airline pilots smoking. Face it, smoking does alter your thinking and slows your processes down, which is why we drive 35 in a 55 zone lol. Granted, it's not as bad as being a drunk or hungover pilot but still, you have a lot of lives in your hands. I hope they don't smoke right before they fly. Some jobs you should not smoke pot in and this is one of them. working with explosives or chemicals etc...Some jobs, as long as you don't wake~n~bake would be ok, some jobs the 2 1/2 rule. It all depends on the job. JMHO

shortglide-1.jpg

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance --That principle is contempt prior to investigation."Herbert Spencer

Be not afraid of life. Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact. —William James

#7 flyin1420

flyin1420

• Private Senior
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:10 AM

What bothers me is the airline pilots smoking. Face it, smoking does alter your thinking and slows your processes down, which is why we drive 35 in a 55 zone lol. Granted, it's not as bad as being a drunk or hungover pilot but still, you have a lot of lives in your hands. I hope they don't smoke right before they fly. Some jobs you should not smoke pot in and this is one of them. working with explosives or chemicals etc...Some jobs, as long as you don't wake~n~bake would be ok, some jobs the 2 1/2 rule. It all depends on the job. JMHO

I certainly agree with you Shortglide. This was a long time ago, and they were a parents of an old high school friend.  They would party on the weekends, and a little weed was the least of their vices.  I lost contact with those people a long time ago.  It seemed cool to my younger self, but now that I've grown up a bit it seems reckless and absurd.  Especially since I travel often for work, usually on a plane.  Any time I step foot on a plane, I am putting my life in the hands of the pilot and I want that pilot to be straight as an arrow and as clear headed as possible.  I guess my point in mentioning it was that you really never can tell

• EDDIEKIRK likes this

#8 flyin1420

flyin1420

• Private Senior
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:16 AM

Great story, Tell us whom did you pass it to when you were done? Did your Mom partake that day? lol

I love this, :D

LOL... no, my mother did not partake that day, just my aunt and I.  It was some dry crumbly shwaggy stuff that's still fairly common in AZ from what I've seen.  Not so much in the Great Northwest though, fortunately.

• EDDIEKIRK likes this

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users